We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Riu Tanio on 7/31/05

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pekin, IL
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just returned from Riu Tanio on 7/31/05

My family of 6 (myself, husband and adult kids ages 20-26) just returned from the Riu Tanio in Punta Cana. It is a very nice resort area with an awsome beach. We did all became sick during our stay there. We figure it was something we ate as we were careful about the following...

1) Didn't use the tap water (even to brush our teeth)

2) Didn't eat salads

3) Only ate fruit that you could peel

4) Limited ourselves to the amount of sun and made sure that we used those beautiful coconut palm trees for much needed shade.

5) Limited ourselves on the fruit drinks. Mostly drank rum & coke and vodka lemon. Men drank beer and rum/coke. And everyone drank in moderation.

We each had diarreah and stomach pains. My husband was sick for 3 days with vomiting, diarreah and a fever of 102 degrees. Daughter was sick for 2 days and came home sick. Both boys (ages 20 & 26 had diarrreah for 2 days, and my sons girlfriend was sick 2 days with diarreah and also came home sick. I was sick with diarreah also.

We did go on the excursion where you swim with sharks and stingrays and it was very nice. We would all choose Mexico over Punta. The Riu's in Punta Cana are very nice and we would go back again however we just prefer the Riu's in Mexio over Punta Cana, maybe because we have never gotten sick in Mexico the 5 times we have been there but all got sick the 1 time that we went to Punta Cana.

Even tho we all became sick we still had a wonderful vacation but just had to limit ourselves to what we were able to do. Plenty of time to relax and read a book in a beautiful resort with awsome scenery.

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Riu Tanio on 7/31/05

Go to your doctor as soon as you can for tests to determine if problem is bacterial or parasites especially if you find you are not getting over it. If they can find the cause then they can treat you if necessary-these wonderful creatures can cause damage to your digest system that can affect you for several months up to a year if that is the problem.