We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

Saskatoon, Sk...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

Is there anyone who has travelled with Air Transat that would comment on "baggage restrictions". In the info I received so far, it states that each person may have any # of checked bags. However, the total of all may not exceed 44 lbs. One suitcase must weigh 15 lbs. That doesn't leave much for all the gifts I was planning to bring. Curious how sticky A/T is on the weight? Thanks

Ontario
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

Hi,

We have travelled with AirTransat on charter several times. I believe if you look in the fine print it is 2 bags per person weighing a collective 44 lbs. One thought to get around this is take another sturdy duffel bag in your first suitcase. They pack easy in the bottom. So if on your return you have to much for your first case you can evenly distribute to each case and that seems to make them happier. They seem to let 2 cases thru over your 44 lbs. easier than one. They really will nab you for an overweight case and it doesn't come cheap.

Just a suggestion, but have learned from experience.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

Good question Jo40 - I should have thought to post a warning regarding weight restrictions as soon as I got back!

We flew back last Thursday from PC on AirTransat, you most likely won't have a problem with baggage on this end, but watch out coming back! They charge $6.00 US per pound overweight.

The other couple in our party was 10 pounds over and they tried weighing it along with our to re-distribute some of the weight but we were slightly over as well. It ended up costing them $60.00 US and us $24.00 US and there was no way they were giving us a break!

You can try carrying on most of the heavy stuff since they don't weight those bags. We actually tried this, but were STILL way overweight!

The best suggestion I can give you is to not overpack going there - I packed tons of clothes but didn't come close to wearing all of them. You spend most of your time during the day in a swimming suit and you need a few nice things for dinners but it doesn't really matter if you wear the same 1 or 2 outfits everynight! I took about 10 pair of shorts and wore 2. I took 20 tank tops and t-shirts and wore about 7.

Shampoos and suntan lotions add a lot of weight, try bringing smaller bottles of the stuff you can downsize.

Other than that, you just add the cost of bringing stuff back to the cost of your trip - not such a big deal considering the overall expense! You can also upgrade to Air Transat Club Class - for only $150 each way you can take double the weight and get a better seat on top of it!!

Have a great trip!!

Saskatoon, Sk...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

Thanks for the suggestions. In the carry-on a person usually packs the 'cosmetics' and typically heavier items. Knowing that they won't be weighing it, I will utilize my space accordingly. Now, if we can settle the issue of 'to go or not', with the news of Malaria.

Kitchener Ontario
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

I always leave all our shampoo, bath products and stuff like that for the maids. It is so cheap here to replace and it is a luxury for them there. I leave the bathroom counter full of anything I can leave behind. I even leave flip flops and t-shirts too.

Saskatoon, Sk...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

That is exactly what I had planned to do. I think it's a great idea. Not that I plan to shop alot, but at least I don't have to worry about the excess weight for the return trip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

We flew Air Transat Nov 11-18, and had no problems leaving Calgary with our luggage. We came home with less, and the PC airport told us we were 6 kgs overweight! It's $6 US for each kg you are over. We ended up paying an extra $36 US for our luggage which had absolutely nothing different in it from when we arrived. I am sure we were paying to bring home DR humidity in our damp clothes!! There was a women we spoke to after we got through security who said they tried to charge her extra for her luggage as well, and she told them to take a hike and wouldn't pay. I guess the lady at the counter just looked at her and they ended up not having to pay.

Eastern Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

Tracy, you have brought up a very good point. Sometimes they DO try to charge you for overages that dont really exist. I wonder about the scales in the DR.

Last trip I had, they tried to pull that on me too. I told them they were free to look in my suitcase but I had not but a single thing while I was there, and had left my toiletries for the maid so there was no way I was paying a single penny for overages as I weighed in fine at home, fine at the Canadian airport too!

They didnt push me hard.

So, be aware of what your baggage weighs when you leave Canada!! Look at the scales when you check in. Then consider your purchases so you will know what to expect when leaving the island.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

We had them weigh our luggage 3 times, and twice it came up different. Anything heavy we had was in our carry on and they were full, so there was no way to re-distribute to make our luggage lighter. My husband was starting to swear, so I just paid the $$$ as I was afraid we were going to get into trouble. But when I spoke to the woman who didn't pay, I realized that maybe I should've just said we didn't have any money left and too bad for them. I'll stand up for myself better the next time!!

Regina, SK
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

With air transat are you allowed to take any aerosols, we are thinking hair spray and insect repellant?

Calgary
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AirTransat Baggage Restrictions

I just returned to Calgary with Air Transat last night after two weeks at Bahia Principe Punta Cana. I believe that you can bring 44 lbs per person travelling...but one suitcase may not exceed that limit. Ours were a little over, and they did not say anything. Also what we heard is that they arent to picky when your leaving but coming home from the Dominican they are very picky and that every extra kilogram costs $7 US. Anyways for souveniors and such...bring them in carry-on they are probably safer there anyways.