We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the sickness people are talking about..?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
343 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is the sickness people are talking about..?

the same thing you can pick up in Mexico pr something worse?

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the sickness people are talking about..?

ZUZU,

I am not entirely sure what you mean about sickness in Mexico or PR.

There is different types of sickness being spoken about on this board. Some talk is of short "travellers tum" type of stuff - the usual stuff that any travellers may expect to encounter - just puts you out of sources for a few days - then back to normal no more said etc...

Other talk is of a more nasty longer lasting sickness/illness that lasts for many months and leaves people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome etc.. which is very much longer lasting could be permanent damage. Some people who get ill do get a diagnosis like Typhoid, Shighella, Cryptosporidium, E Coli and so on (some of these are parasites ingested by foods, water etc.. that cause damage to the digestive tract, bowel & intestines).

I am not sure what you are trying to find out?? You could use the search box above type in sickness or illness and see what comes up - you'll be able to see what people are saying about on here. Like I say some as we might say "slight discomfort" (self induced?? over eating?? strange foods/drinks maybe??) - other talk is of a different nature.

Another way is to look through reviews see what is being said at relevant places maybe??

I gather that's not much of an explanation - but it depends what you want to know.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the sickness people are talking about..?

Hi Zuzu. I have inferred from your other posts that you are considering switching your vacation from Mexico to the DR. Having been to both--Mexico five times and the DR once--I can say that I had a more positive experience at Secrets Punta Cana than I did at Aventura Spa Palace in the Riviera Maya or the Camino Real (now Dreams) Puerto Vallarta. In a nutshell, it was a really special vacation.

That being said, I understand that several people who stayed at some of the other DR resorts earlier this year got quite sick--some still have symptoms to this day. However, I always like to put it in perspective. For example, in spring of 2004, over 1000 tourists became ill with the Norwalk (also known as Noro) virus after visiting the third world country of...Las Vegas, NV. Just search on Flamingo Hotel and Norwalk, you can see for yourself.

I am not try to make light of the people who became sick, in the DR or elsewhere, I am just trying to point out that you really can get something nasty anywhere in the world. I should know--I got dysentery in Costa Rica a few years back, while staying at the nicest hotel in San Jose, and had to spend two days in the hospital, followed by a month of antibiotics and the BRAT diet. Great way to lose weight, but I wouldn't recommend it!

Anyway, good luck on your vacation search. And if you have any questions about Secrets, I would be happy to answer them.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
343 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the sickness people are talking about..?

thanks HRHSMS. We are probably booking casa del Mar, a Sunscape resort - seems to come highly reccommended on this forum and it is in our budget. I am actually really excited about the switch to DR, just a little freaked out about the amount of discussion about illnesses, both the enduring and the short lived kind. I will definately take precautions, it's just a drag to think about it.

an igloo
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the sickness people are talking about..?

HR - sorry to hear that you got ill....but a BIG thank you for putting this into perspective

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the sickness people are talking about..?

zuzu!

You can feel a bit better knowing that there's never been a big problem in the La Romana area!!!

Go and enjoy yor vacation!!!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
343 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the sickness people are talking about..?

Bell sky- thanks, that does make me feel better!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
343 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the sickness people are talking about..?

oops- I maen "Bellasky"

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
343 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the sickness people are talking about..?

oops again- you know what I mean!!