We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding stomach problems

texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Topic
Avoiding stomach problems

Does anyone one have any advice for not getting sick at the Excellence. I have a very bad stomach. The Dr. is going to put me on something before I go. Is there any foods to stay away from? Thanks for your input.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Avoiding stomach problems

Ah, I see, the cheap mans caribbean isn't included in this, fair enough!!

Enjoy your stay and try not to upset your stomach with all the other stuff you're taking to avoid just that, lol.

Have fun!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Avoiding stomach problems

No, what I meant was all resorts that care about their guests health will use treated or purified water and especially if they have signed up for what I think is called the blue diamond standard of hygiene or something similar

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Avoiding stomach problems

I just want to jump in here a minute. Yes, most resorts do use filtered water to wash fruits and vegetables. Yes, there are short cuts taken. The problem with salad, and the ingredients used, is that they are "ruffage". For those with any kind of digestive issues salad is a problem. Gall bladder issues, IBS, diverticulitous...the list goes on. I avoid salad at all costs when I am not at home as I never know when my system will rebel and with the other factors of being on vacation, it's just not worth the risk.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Avoiding stomach problems

Fair enough FFM, just sounds as though you don't think the hotels in Cabarete care about the punters, and maybe it is just your wording that sounds as though this is the case. Never to worry, I'm completely aware of the stress behind the heads of a hotel kitchens when clean water is not available and the problems they can come across if for any reason a meal service can not be served on time.

The reality is very few people get upset about the food and even if they do, the fact that a change in water will be put down to vegi's washed in tap water and so the heads of the kitchen, lots goes through without justified cause for blame towards a salad, most cope and put it down to rum n all!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Avoiding stomach problems

This is the regiment we follow - so far so good - regarding anything RAW- if you can peel it-you can eat it. If it is cooked, and properly, i.e. chicken cooked throughout etc. then we eat it. We are not fond of the fancy drinks that might be coconut based so stick to 'Ron' and Coco Light and Presidente and some Bino. Lots of really good advice on this subject - happy vacation and hopefully no stomach troubles,regards Leigh

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Avoiding stomach problems

Carry a pocket-sized bottle of hand sanitizer, and use it before eating or whenever your hands feel grimy.

I recently spent 2 weeks in DR, and 4 weeks in Mexico, eating almost entirely off-resort. (Does that make it "disreputable"?) In Mexico, I was even feasting on the street food, and loving it.

Carried the hand sanitizer always, used it frequently, and, (is this connected somehow?) never got sick once.

Just throw it in your "liquids" ziploc when you go through airport security.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Avoiding stomach problems

I hope you are being funny as I see absolutley no connection between you washing you hands and eating your food. If you were prepearing the food then yes I would understand that but your science does not actually make any sense what so ever!

Sorry!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Avoiding stomach problems

Not being funny. Eating bad food isn't the only way to get sick.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Avoiding stomach problems

I'm completely aware of that but would it not be a little strange and disrespectful for all tourists to wandering around with a bottle of hospital fluid attached to our jackets as if we wee all nurses and scrubbing up before we touch any local food, for gods sakes.

Sorry pal but I find some things just a little ott and this is just one of them. I'm cool if people want to do this in the resort, but I would never dream of such a thing, and especially not carrying a bottle around with me and applying it before eating with the locals.

My opinion pal and if someone did it in my bar I'd be offended!!!!!!!!!

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
34 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Avoiding stomach problems

I think what he is saying with the hand sanitizer is that we all pick up germs....touching door knobs, beach chairs, bar stools...then precede to touch food and put it in our mouths...the germs will transfer.

How many people have you ever seen come out of a bathroom without washing their hands? I have seen many and it is gross when you really think about it(how much they will touch once they leave)...that is why after I am done washing and drying I keep the papertowel to turn the knob with...

I don't think trying to protect ones health is considered offensive by any means.