We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side Excursions

Canton, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Side Excursions

Hey everybody! Can anyone recommend any side trips that are worth trying? We are staying at the Ocean Bavaro at the end of July, beginning of August. We were going to stay at the Santana in La Romona but I shyed away because of all the bad reviews about the water (more like a lake and not clear, can't snorkel there) Also, any suggestions on extras I should bring w/us? I saw snorkeling gear, I thought it was provided. Also I saw SPF 15+, and your own extra towels. Thanks for your tips!

NB Canada
Level Contributor
760 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side Excursions

Hey there

La Romana is nice however, Punta Cana is the popular place right now, the beaches are amazing. If you are going to go on any excursions that include snokeling, they are provided, the saona island and the contiki party boat are both good, catalina island is nice too however it is drug out very long and makes for an exhausting day, the SPF, you should probly bring a couple, we actually took 4 different spf's LOL, Towels i have never had a problem with, However, faceclothes are a must, they are seen as a personal item there. IMMODIUM i always say is the most important, because of the different foods, it will play lots of games with your belly. Snacks, we always bring, ex, pringles, chips are about 10US, and trust me after sunning and drinking all day, you will want to munch. Any items such as advil etc, do not depend on not feeling under the weather, the sun and food, and drinks can really play with you, make sure you have that stuff for sure. I hope this helps a bit

Canton, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Side Excursions

Thanks for the tips. The beaches do look much nicer here. Yes...drinking > eating > pepto/Immodia !!!! > drinking > almost forgot lying in the sun all day. Do you know how far or how long a drive (ride) it is to Saona Island?

NB Canada
Level Contributor
760 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side Excursions

The Saona trip, you leave punta cana by bus, and drive to La Romana, you then take speed boats over to the island, you stop at what they call a natural swimming pool, it is where you can get out in the middle of the ocean, and just sit and drink in the water, you then go to the island for the day, they have a bbq, then you take a catamaran back to La Romana, that is so nice.so about an hr drive then a speed boat ride away LOL