We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 sleeps to go, contemplating resort switch through agent

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
566 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3 sleeps to go, contemplating resort switch through agent

If it is possible, seeing a slew of negative reviews (there is a difference between complainers and corroborating negative reviews) coming in about a very dirty pool, food poisoning and mildew in rooms I'm wondering if I should contact my travel agent today and see if it's possible to switch from the Sunscape Grand to the Grand Palladium Palace. Anyone have any thoughts or should I just ignore the reviews and make the best of it? Any word on sickness coming out of the Grand now and if Dennis has affected any of the PC resorts?

Panicked with 3 sleeps to go...

Retromaven

Eastern Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 sleeps to go, contemplating resort switch through agent

If you can have your travel agent change your hotel with only 3 days before departure she is indeed a miracle worker!!! If you change now, you are most likely looking at some heavy change fees. Then, there is the issue of getting a new voucher to you. If the voucher doesnt arrive, then you are at the mercy of the Dominicans to have your booking straight - something I do not recommend.

What I do recommend is this: make sure your travel agent is aware of your concerns AND have her make the tour company she booked through make a notation on your file.

Next, make sure that your destination representitive definitely knows who you are and what your concerns are!!! Let them know that you 100% want to know how to contact them if you are not happy with your room AND the hotel is not beinig helpful. Sometimes your rep will actually talk with check in on your behalf and make sure your room is ok, but not always.

Your best bet for a smooth vacation is to talk to the Manager if your room is not satisfactory.

Changing hotels is just going to be one huge hassle and a waste of a day that you could have been on the beach enjoying the day.

I have stayed at a resort twice now that has had tons and tons of bad reviews. My room was excellent both trips, well manicured property, great food choices, awesome beach, great night life!!! I guess it kinda goes like the saying "one persons trash is anothers treasure"

Happy Travels, just remember to relax!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 sleeps to go, contemplating resort switch through agent

jamaicasun:

Thanks so much for your post. It's really helped bring me back to the "reality" of the situation. My travel agent (clearing house) has been minimally helpful thus far, so I guess other than expressing my concerns, I doubt they will be much use on "intervention" as they have been totally lacadasical about questions and helpfulness thus far.

I guess as far as beaches, I should have picked more carefully INITIALLY (I did some research, but only realised the beach issue later) and the beach at the Grand Palladium Palace looks more like the beach I would have expected...but you know, that was MY fault, not the resorts fault and I'm happy to live with that...

I guess I'm worried about several reviews that asked for immediate transfer out of the resort and that there has been food poisoning issues the past two weeks, cockroaches and mildew in many of the rooms - and it seems to be coming from more than one source.

I had already contacted Caren once at the resort directly to express my concerns about the construction (of which I was not aware when I booked the trip) and she was very reassuring, so at that time - and based on it not being an issue in reviews - decided not to try to transfer at that time. The new reviews are now making me very nervous. Maybe I should just stop reading them and go with the "make the best of it" - many others really LOVED this place attitude and go with the flow, as you're right, it's probably more hassle than it's worth to change things now.

I appreciate your sage advice...and I'm hoping once I am on the beach with a fruity drink in hand this will all be a "laugher" in hindsight!!! :)

Thanks again,

Retromaven

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 sleeps to go, contemplating resort switch through agent

Although we didn't stay at this particular resort, my husband and I just got back from Secrets Excellence. Unfortunately, you can not believe many of these reports on this site. Even though we heard a lot of good posts, we read so many negative ones and we kind of leary about different things. It's sad how many people look down on an almost perfect resort.

All I'm trying to say is don't panic over reports on this site. Most resorts in Punta Cana are very accomodating from what we heard. If you happen to have a room not quite up to your standard, talk to management and you can almost guarantee that they will upgrade you and take care of the situation.

Relax and Enjoy your vacation. I think you'll be fine!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 sleeps to go, contemplating resort switch through agent

I just returned yesterday from Sunscape Grand and I was content there but I will definetely not return. My boyfriend got sick over everything he ate, I myself was fine though. The pools were very very warm, until Tuesday when the rain cooled it down but I would not say dirty, the resort was very clean. If you have a family, I would stay there, it looked to be a great place for the kids, but my boyfriend and I would do better at a place like Secrets for adults only. The place is nice, I guess I just have high standards and was disappointed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 sleeps to go, contemplating resort switch through agent

Thanks everyone for your posts. I appreciate it as instead of anticipating the trip with nerves of excitement, I was getting the nervous jitters.

ll9977 - a few questions for you, if you don't mind:

Sorry to hear your B/F got sick. As far as sickness, was that rampant at the resort, or was your B/F one of a few? How was the food in general to you?

I would expect that the pools would be warm, here in NY with the weather so hot and humid our pools are no more than tub water...so that would not be a problem for me...just if they were dirty...and you said they were clean, just warm, right?

No problems with the construction, unseemly bugs or other undesirables?

I'm going on the trip with my B/F, but we are most likely CONSIDERABLY older than you are (I am leaving my kids home - I want to vegetate) and for me minimal nightlife and kids running around are not a biggie as long as I can plop on a chair and have my iPod cranked or take a catamaran out and just mosey around for the day. I just don't want unclean/unsanitary issues to ruin the trip, but it doesn't seem like that was the biggest problem for you, except the sickness?

What was it about the resort that mostly disappointed you? How was the ocean water last week? Was it murky for you or was it clear as it had been for several others that stayed recently?

Thanks in advance for any questions you choose to answer. I'm going to be taking my big ol' chill pill based on all your kind responses and hope for the best. I'll definitely drop a (hopefully) objective review when I return. I've lived in a lot of places around the world and travelled all over and rarely had a problem, even when living like a "native"...so I hope that my good experiences continue in what I hope to be a tropical paradise.

Cheers!

Retromaven

Metro NY

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 sleeps to go, contemplating resort switch through agent

I thought the pools were clean, but definetely as warm as a hot tub!

Other problems that were very annoying was no hot water on my trip, I mean none. I called the front desk and there really wasn't anything they could do.

My boyfriend saw a mouse and a mousehole on our first night there at the backstage bar, I was very skeptical going near that bar the rest of the week.

We had some room issues where we had to be moved and then the bed was broken, but really no big deal.

The vacation was nice and we had a good time, but would have liked a better place. You can definetely relax and have a good time there. I will be posting my review and uploading pics tonight. Any more q's I'll be sure to answer!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 sleeps to go, contemplating resort switch through agent

forgot to mention the construction. Its really not a problem. At first they put us in building number 2 and that is very close to the consturction so I asked to be moved which they did. HOwever the construction is almost invisible to the resort and you really don't hear anything. We would have been fine in the orginal room but were able to get a better view with the second room so we were glad we switched.

The ocean - it was not crystal blue but was very refreshing and nice to swim in. There really weren't many waves but it was nice to play in.

I thought the food was great. My boyfriend is a picky eater and has a sensitive stomach, I don't think his issues were all over the resort. The Tex Mex restarant was my favorite, and the portions at the Italian place are small. Juan makes delicisous omeletts and the pizzas at the international grill were great. You'll have a fun time, I'm just picky and have been to many resorts with better service and nicer so I had too much to compare it with and complain about. Don't worry just enjoy your trip!