We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana Vs. La Romana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
H.B., California
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana Vs. La Romana

HI there, These two cities are less then fourty miles away from what I've been told. Is there specific reasons why Punta Cana should be destination choice vs la Romana? P.S. we are not golfers, family of six looking for great calm beaches and fun for all ages 2 - 37.

Thanks.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,034 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana Vs. La Romana

I don't know the actual distance, but I think it's more than 40 miles. It takes about an hour and a half to drive it.

If you are looking for somebody to tout Punta Cana, I'm not the one. If you are looking for a comparison of the two, I can tell you what I've found.

If you want waves, Punta Cana is your place. If you want calm beaches, La Romana is definitely the better option. There is limited snorkeling and not the same clear aqua Caribbean water colour in Punta Cana. I know that it's possible to find it there, but I read that complaint a lot. They are on different bodies of water (Atlantic Ocean v. the Caribbean Sea) and have different weather patterns. They are indeed pretty close geographically, but there are quite a few differences. What else are you looking for besides calm beaches?

Have you seen my pictures? There are a lot (too many?!) pictures of the calm water and beautiful beach there. I even have a photograph of a 2 year old at the water's edge!

http://community.webshots.com/user/kaki333

Kaki