We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murky/brown ocean water????

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Topic
Murky/brown ocean water????

I just saw some recent pictures of the ocean water by Barcelo Bavaro resorts and lets just say very dissapointing! When we went last year to Ocean Bavaro the water along the shore was pristine....bright blue! I heard 2 stories of why the water is brown along the shore: 1) a pipe burst and is spilling into the ocean 2) the hurricane distrubed the water making it murkey.

Is the water like this at ALL the resorts or just by the Barcelo complex? Can some please help....I might have to change hotels!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Murky/brown ocean water????

When we were there last week, we met some people who were staying an additional week, and they are coming home tonight. I'll email them tomorrow and see if the water improved any during the week.

Everybody we talked to said they had never seen it like that before so it was pretty disappointing.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Murky/brown ocean water????

Thanks Tracy! I hope things get better! I keep telling the other couple we're going with how beautiful the water is and it would be a shame if it was still like this in Feb! I feel at fault if I choose a resort that isn't up to par....this trip (location/hotel) was my idea and reccomedation! I don't even know if I can change resorts now because we have to fly at that time and we booked though a discount travel place.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Murky/brown ocean water????

We noticed even as you walked down the beach towards the Palace that the yucky water didn't go out as far, but it was still there. Maybe it was clearing up gradually? When you were on the beach facing the ocean and looked to your right, the beach doesn't keep going straight, the land kinda juts out, and to the left it's beach as far as you can see. Maybe that has something to do with it? I have been to Cuba and seen friends pictures of the Barcelo resorts and the beach was beautiful, so that is what I too was expecting. I am sure it'll be just fine when you go. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you anyways!

Either way, we just sat by the pool. It was closer to the bar!!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Murky/brown ocean water????

For anybody else concerned, I have some pics posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/tracygoose

Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murky/brown ocean water????

Hi Venus.

Which hotel are you booked at? I'm going to the Bavaro Princess on December 15. The Paradisus Punta Cana is right beside it and recent travellers said that the beach and water was ablutely beautiful (crystine blue/green water).

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Murky/brown ocean water????

I'm booked at Barcelo Bavaro Beach & Caribe. From Tracy's posts and yours it seems that this water problem is just around this hotel??? Its hard to say if it's going to clear up and I'll be o.k, but if not and it becomes too late to switch hotels I'll be sooo dissapointed!

Tracy- thanks for your help and genuine intest for my situation! How is the weather in Calagry? I plan on getting my Masters there hopefully next year!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Murky/brown ocean water????

PS- I'm from Winnipeg and it just snowed 3 days ago.... looking forward to this trip is making it a little more bearable!

Sin
Burlington, ON
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Murky/brown ocean water????

Hi Venus,

My husband and I just returned from the Punta Cana Princess (which isnt too far from the Bavaro cuz we were ORIGINALLY booked there, they moved us due to the hurricane clean-up) Our beach was absolutely beautiful!!!! Crystal clear, you could see right to the ocean floor no matter how far your went out. We were there from Nov 1st- Nov 8th so I dont know what may have happened between then & now for things to change. The only thing that I think may make a difference is that the Bavaro beach area is in an "alcove" area..... their beaches were situated where the island kinda curves around. The beach along the Punta Cana Princess where WE were is straight-along....understand??

Hope your concerns are resolved before you head on your trip. ANything else I can do? Let me know.

Take care!!

Sin

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Murky/brown ocean water????

Venus: The weather in Calgary today is sunny but kinda cold; it's 3 degrees right now. Even with the rain and wind in Punta Cana, it was 10x nicer there! Too bad my tan is peeling already. Dumb dry Canadian air!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Murky/brown ocean water????

Thanks you guys! I called my booking agency and they said they heard nothing of this....They might be able to make special arragngments for us to change hotels. The fact is I really don't want to, but I don't know if this water situation will actually clear up by then. Feb is a long way for me but not to mother nature!