We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Excellence - good and bad

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets Excellence - good and bad

Got back yesterday from a 8 night/9 day stay at Secrets. There were so many great things about this trip, and I will go into detail and post a review. But I wanted to mention the few bad things - they didn't ruin our trip, but I wish I would have known these things before I booked the trip.

1. The beds are incredibly hard. So hard that it was impossible for me to sleep for more than an hour at a time. A few sleep deprived days into the trip, we asked if there was anything they could do and the maids came and added extra blankets for us to sleep on, but this didn't help much.

2. The food - I read the reviews and I prepared myself that it wouldn't be like food in America. But their meat is really, really bad. I tried every restaurant and it was hard, if not impossible to find something I could eat. One can not live off of Pina Coladas and chocolate cake, so I was so happy to get back home.

3. Saona Island - it's a 3 hour drive each way, especially from secrets where you have to stop at every other hotel and pick someone up. The tour guides will tell you 1 hour - don't believe them. They will also tell you the roads aren't bad, but they are. Don't do this trip if you have any back trouble. The speed boat ride was so painful. Once on the island, there's not much to do. You'll cut your feet if you walk into the ocean. I saw more than one person get hurt trying to get into and out of the speed boat (due to the waves). My boyfriend broke his foot playing volleyball, but we were stuck there and had to wait 8 hours to get back to Secrets to get ice and advil.

4. The vendors - they are everywhere! You have not experienced high pressure sales until you visit Punta Cana. You could be sitting by the pool and someone would try to sell you a massage or an excursion. We got to the point where we avoided certain areas of the hotel and around the hotel because we knew we would be harassed.

My advice - stay at secrets. The beach and ocean is beautiful. The waves were not really that rough as others have said. The pool is great, the staff is great and they have a lot of activities.

I'll post a review later this week. Oh, and the weather was great. It only rained one day.

Scubaquatic
Speed Boats Tours, Water Sports, Parasailing & Paragliding, Fishing Charters & Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Ballena Tour
Speed Boats Tours
Palma Caribe Tours
Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Speed Boats Tours, City Tours
Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Excellence - good and bad

I agree with you on the food. It's was hit and miss and my husband got sick for 2 days. It's a gorgeous resort but we were happy to be home.

boston
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Excellence - good and bad

I heard the food was good. Did you like the lobster? How about the chateaubriand ? How do they screw up fish?

London, KY
Level Contributor
183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Excellence - good and bad

It is so weird how people can be at the same place and view things so differently. I thought the food was very good. The only disappointing meal I had was when I ordered veal from the steak restaurant. As far as the vendors, I did not find them to be a problem on the beach, unless you walked beyond the resort property where the vendors had their shops. The resort lets vendors set up tables in the lobby a few evenings a week, but a simple "no thank you" is all it take to deter them.

Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Excellence - good and bad

I do have to say that the lobster at the Mediterranean restaurant was awesome as well as the chateaubriand. The fish at the Mexican restaurant was pretty tasty as well. I did not care about the Texas restaurant. I got a little queasy with their food. Like a said, with us it was a hit and miss.

PHILA
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Excellence - good and bad

Just returned from secrets last night, I Found the food excellent ,the vendors never bothered US ,and we have been to this resort for the 4th time ......maybe having to wheel your boyfriend arround made your vacation a bummer???

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Excellence - good and bad

As I said in my original post, "there were so many great things about this trip." I just wanted to make people aware of the few negative aspects that I experienced.

PHILA
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Excellence - good and bad

Sorry

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Excellence - good and bad

One more thing - before you leave, pack some drinks from your mini fridge in your carry-on bag. Drinks and food are expensive at the airport.