We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Vs. Grand Palladium Palace Resort&Spa - Expert help...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
286 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Vs. Grand Palladium Palace Resort&Spa - Expert help...

My husband and I've narrowed it down to these two choices, but need your help.

Which one of these places gives you more value/service/etc. for the money?

Which one did you like better (if you've visited both)?

Any opinions appreciated!

Thanks.

Manchester uk
Level Contributor
131 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Vs. Grand Palladium Palace Resort&Spa - Expert help...

We have been to Grand Palladium (then Fiesta) 4 times, the first time was our honeymoon. The last time was 2 years ago, we loved every minute of it and would go back tomorrow. It was a beautiful hotel with stunning gardens, the food was good, the rooms pleasant, I loved the pool and beach. The staff were great (I felt better and more friendly than Secrets)

We went to Secrets this May (the two weeks of the tropical storm, the first of 7 visits to DR with bad weather) However much I loved the palladium it could never compare to Secrets! Secrets is totally romantic, the rooms and hotel beautiful, resturants outstanding, drinks are a hundred times better - we are booking again for January. Even though we had awful weather it was the most wonderful place, we were never fed up even through days of rain and cloud, both of us just want to go back.

The Palladium was good, Secrets was great.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
286 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Vs. Grand Palladium Palace Resort&Spa - Expert help...

Clarissa thanks so much for your help. My limited impression in photos (again limited) is that Secrets at least looks to be a cut above.

Mississiauga...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Vs. Grand Palladium Palace Resort&Spa - Expert help...

Food at the buffets was great...seems from reading reviews that if the buffet food isn't great , it's hit and miss with speciality restaurants at most resorts. The Grand Palladium Palace was great food and eveything hot or cold! The head chef would be seen checking out all the selections...my wife asked him for something and he actually ran! We don't expect 'Dominicans " to run for us by all means ! But the service and food was excellent! I actually got tired of "smoked salmon and prosciutto" at lunch and ordered a burger which was great too!. They were grilling everything from burgers to chicken and lamb , pork....ya just point to what ya want .The best beach ....heard Secrets has bigger waves? Seen a previous post that has experienced both resorts and they seem honest. My advice was make your choice on wether you want calmer waters or your more a pool person? Also the commute......it's 20 minutes to Paladium Palace I think I bumpy 1 hour ride to Secrets... Whatever ya choose don't drink the water or rinse your tooth brush....my downfall LOL....but it's all paradise :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Vs. Grand Palladium Palace Resort&Spa - Expert help...

Secrets is all adult and plush they say with great food and service but I also hear that the beach is very rough with big waves and tan sand instead of the calm water and pure white sand you would find at Grand Palladium. Secrets has rooms with hot tubs while Grand Palladium has nice Jr. suites with lots of space but no hot tubs. I loved the Grand Palladium and I am very serious about my beach. I must be able to swim for hours in the ocean. I am not a pool person. Both resorts have lovely pools. I have found all of the food in the DR the same really. I think Secrets is overrated. Apple Vacations owns it and hawks the adults only thing. If that no kid thing is important, I would say spend the money. I have enjoyed the low star resorts and the high star resorts just as much. I wouldn't spend the money on Secrets. There are other resorts that are just as nice even though kids are present. If you are into the plush but want a nice beach, try the Melia Paradisus or the Melia Caribe/Tropical. Both resorts are fabulous but are on nice beaches. Also no one complains about the Iberostars. They also all sit on nice beaches. Avoid the Sunscapes. Their beaches have problems. (rocks, waves, ugly water colors etc.)They are owned by Apple too so the advertising is over the top and a bit false.The Riu Palace Macao was six star but overrated and not plush. Just consider what is important to you. Beach? Just Pool? Food?, Room? etc. Do you want it all or does it matter? I am heading down there on the 8th and have chosen a 3 star this time. IFA Villas Bavaro. Not plush but on a fabulous beach with adequate accommodations and food.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
286 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Vs. Grand Palladium Palace Resort&Spa - Expert help...

Beach is VERY important. Thanks for your advice!!!

Vancouver,B.c.
Level Contributor
494 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Vs. Grand Palladium Palace Resort&Spa - Expert help...

Palladium comes pretty close and is a helluva lot cheaper than Secrets. If money is no object than definitely Secrets however for the value there is no comparison - Palladium hands down.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
286 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Vs. Grand Palladium Palace Resort&Spa - Expert help...

Thanks everyone. We've decided to go with the Palladium Pallace. We can book a couple of extra nights for the same price as Secrets and based on everyone's opinion , it seem like a pretty good value for the money.

Cheers