We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boca-Chica

new jersey
11 posts
Save Topic
Boca-Chica

Going to the Hamaca Coral by Hilton in Boca-Chica in mid June any info on resort or area that i should know about before i go. Thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boca-Chica

Hi.. my parents have visited this resort 3 times in the past few years.. they enjoy it.. i can ask them some questions if you have specifics? they say the rooms are quite large and clean.. the food is good.. the a la cartes are good too... the staff is great....

new jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boca-Chica

thanks for your reply, some of teh questions i have are:

-how did they get from the airport to the resort

-is it a more family style or college style atmosphere

-have they gone there in the middle of june? if so what was the weather like

-any suggestions on what i shoudl bring

sorry there are so many questions but any answers you can give me would be great, thank you

Toronto
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boca-Chica

No problem.. i'll help as much as i can...

There is a bus that will take you to the resort.. are you flying into PC or La Romana.. its much faster from the La Romana airport... the drive from PC is almost 2 hours.... what tour operator did you book with?

My parents said they typically have a good mix of singles/family/young kids... but they typically go for 2 weeks in February/March and have college students there for spring break... they haven't been in June. I went to Punta Cana one year the beginning of June.. the weather was great.. but really hot...

If you have room.. bring old tshirts/caps for the people that work there.. they are very appreciative of things like that..

not sure if you get bitten by mosquitoes... but if you do (like me) bring some bug spray... the food is good from what my parents say.. but when I travel I always bring some snaks with me like chips/chocolate.. you can get this there but its very expensive and doesn't taste quite the same..

I don't think you'll need any longer pants or sweaters.. it should be quite warm.. i normally do depending on the time of year I go...

hope that helps.. anything else.. just let me know :)

new jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boca-Chica

Ghorges,

thanks alot for the info, when you say bring old clothes becasue they like that, what do you just hand it to them, or barter with them. i woudl def do that i just dont want to be rude by handing them clothes. once again sorry. as for the flight i am not sure what airport i will have to check that out. once again thanks so much for the info

Toronto
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boca-Chica

you could use it for bartering.. but i try to bring some stuff I don't wear anymore... they love baseball caps and stuff like that.. in the past i've given it to those that work on the resort.. or if I go into the towns.. bring things for the children like colouring books and crayond.. but don't worry about it.. only do what you feel comfortable with.. and yes, you don't want to seem like you are handing out donations b/c some may feel insulted.. you'll know when its right.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boca-Chica

Guys!

You can always ask "Would you like a present?", so you do not insult anybody!

Works every time!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boca-Chica

NJkid!

Check with your TA, many TAs in the US do not include airport transfers. In that case you will have to take a taxi. Don't worry, they are safe!!!

new jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boca-Chica

bella,

i am bookin the trip online and teh only thing it doesnt include which i can pay extra for is a ride to and from the airport for 50 dollars extra. i was thinkin i woudl probably just do it that way for the conveinence factor but i am not sure. i am going form santo domingo to boca chica. do you think that is a rip off. do you knwo what the weather is usually like there durin mid/end of june

New York
Level Contributor
265 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boca-Chica

I've been to the Coral Hamaca several years ago. From what I remember it is a very short drive from the Santo Domingo Airport. We had bus transfers included in the package. I hated it. Why? Because you were not the only people on the bus and it made a fews stops, there was no airconditioning. Private transfers are well worth it. But $50 seems a bit high. I would say $30. Check other boards to info on prices. If you fly into Santo Domingo, once you exit the hotels it is very crowded with people trying to take your bags and help you to your car. As for the hotel. I thought the hotel was very nice but you did alot of walking. I did see a tram but it did not run that often. The walk did me good! Also to get to the beach is kind of annoying. You had to walk through the main lobby and down the stairs. The beach is small. It is private and beautiful with a reef blocking the waves. Great for swimming. If you go towards your right you will see a partition with a guard standing there. This keeps the locals out. But if you want to walk past to walk on the local beach you can. I did it and there are several beach bars if you want to get away from the resort. I also borrowed the motor bikes and exited the resort toward the right about a mile to Burger King! I had to because the food was getting to me. Dominican food is just okay. I'm puerto rican (no offense to DR's) but they cook different. You can also walk (very short distance) to town of boca chica. I see alot of european bars. Alot of locals. Its great if you like to drink. Just be careful. I went there on the motor bikes and my husband stopped at a phone booth to make a call. When he came out two males approached us and pretended that they new us from working at the resort. My husband new what game they were playing (from NY and all). They said oh... let buy you a drink come you can park overthere! Yeh okay! So you can steal our bikes? Anyway my husband played dumb and said we would come back and we sped away real fast! That was my humble experience with Coral Hamaca. It wasn't the best but the resort and beach makes up for it! I am trying my luck with DR again next week. I am going to Punta Cana and staying at the Iberostar. I hope I won't be disappointed.