We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

Just returned (unfortunately) from a 7-night stay at Secrets. I would be glad to answer any questions from those scheduled to go or thinking about it. I'll have a detailed review posted on the review section of this site shortly, but can answer any immediate questions you may have.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

Fuggle.

glad you had a good time?

Did you eat any of the chateaubriand? (my personal favourite)

And did you try the mamajuanna LOLOL?

Its hard to be home, I understand !! :( We have been back for a month now and I am still craving champagne and OJ for breakfast.

Anyway welcome home....

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

Hi there HRHSMS - how are things in the 'Burgh? (my old hometown area). The answer to your question is no, I couldn't talk my wife into using the spa although she did take a look at one of the package deals that seemed a pretty good deal to me. I guess there was just too many other things to do. My daughter did get a shoulder and neck deep-tissue massage on the beach for $40 and LOVED it...tried like heck to get her sister and my wife to do it also - even offered to pay!

And hello again SecretsBride! And yes, I'm depressed to be back because we had an fantastic time. Personally, I miss those Bloody Marys at breakfast and Osvaldo in the theater bar shaking me up a Beefeaters martini. I've been changing my computer background wallpaper everyday to another photo from the trip. Well, I guess I'd better stop being glum and start planning the next trip down, that's all.

BTW, I just submitted a MAMMOTH review to TripAdvisor with 10 photos attached. I hope they don't think it's too big. Look for it - the title will contain "(detailed review)".

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

Hi Fuggle--thanks for the insight.

All is well here in the 'burgh. But please don't tell me that you are a former Pittsburgher who is a, gulp, RAVENS fan now! :)

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

HRHSMS...HEY NOW.......watch the Ravens comments!!!!! LOLOL

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

Haha, OBXBum. Don't worry, I'm not going to do any trash talking of football teams on this forum.

But if I were, it would be about the Brownies and the Patsies!

(Let's see if Akrontravellers and/or Skinnybaldguy are paying attention...)

Go Stillers!

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

HRHSMS - no way on the Ravens; still committed to the Black and Gold. I actually caught two home games last season (Brownies and Redskins) - my buddy, who lives 15 mins away here in Maryland, has maintained his season tickets and makes the trip over the mountains for every home game he can do.

Terry (SecretsBride) - just realized I didn't answer your question on the Chateaubriand - I absolutely had it and it was great. Had the rack of lamb there too and it was also great. BTW, did you notice they changed the names of all the restaurants except Maria Bonita on the website? They weren't changed as of 05/21 at the resort itself, but maybe they're changing them now. Check out the new names.

To All:

My mega review of Secrets is available at:

www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/uveroalto.html

and is pending post on TripAdvisor (along with 10 photos) if they don't think it's too long.

Cheers,

Mark - Maryland

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

Hey Mark--I just read your review on Debbie's--great stuff. I am even more excited to go now. I just hope the weather is better when we are there.

Good to hear about the continuing Pittsburgh loyalty--where did you grow up? I am actually a Butlerite, but not too many non-Western PAers have heard of it!

Thanks again for a great review--I hope we have as good as an experience as you did!

Massachusetts
5 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

We're looking for a nice place to have a destination wedding (just the 2 of us). The pics on the websites always paint the resorts like the most romantic, exotic places on the planet! Did Secrets live up to the pictures on their website? Did you see any weddings while you were there and, if so, what was your impression?

Also, you said you just returned "unfortunately" from a 7-night stay. Was that too short, or just right? I'm hoping 7 nights won't be too long for us.

How about the food? I've never stayed in an all-inclusive and hear they are mostly buffet-style. How are the buffets at Secrets?

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. So far, from reading the reviews and the website, we think we may have found the right place. We just want a little more assurance before booking the reservation. Thanks!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
308 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

Mark,

Re: the restaurant name changes...

I guess Secrets is going for a little more uniformity for their resorts --- these are some of the names of the restaurants & bars at Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun & Secrets Capri.

Jackie

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just Back from Secrets Excellence-happy to answer any...

Hello all - we may have noticed my new post about my mega-review being posted to TripAdvisor with 10 pictures. Check out the post because it contains a few items I left out of the review but wanted to share.

WeLuvRPoodles - obviously, no one place in the resort will look like a the staged, enhanced photos on the website or brochure, but this place is beautiful and spotless inside and out. The review goes into more detail. The beach and water would look more blue/green/clear in my pics if the weather had been a bit better, but there's really nothing you can do about that. The lobby and theater area are filled with candles every night, and you never feel crowded even when the place is full. And the "unfortunately" comment was because I DID NOT want to leave so soon. I would have preferred a 10-night stay - as I say in the review, we weren't even able to try the Italian restaurant within our 7 night stay (we were with 4 others so their were many "group" meals/decisions on restaurants). And that leads me to the food - it's all in the review, but you should be able to find many things you will enjoy - dinner has no buffet (perhaps the beach party night may, but ours was cancelled) - all a la carte. Lunch can be a la carte (2 restaurants) or buffet, breakfast is only buffet/omelet station, etc. I think you'll really like Secrets, and it is the only adults-only resort in Punta Cana. I also liked the secluded location since my wife and I just wanted to relax, unwind and enjoy what the resort had to offer without all the off-site tours, etc.

JackieMRP - interesting about the "standardization" of the restaurant names, but I can see the logic to it.

HRHSMS - you bet I know where Butler, PA is. Do you know where Weirton, WV is, about 35-miles west of downtown just across the border? You can't blink on Rt 22 west or you'd miss it and realize you've crossed the Ohio River and you're in Steubenville.

Mark