We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana...not for americans

orlando
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Punta Cana...not for americans

The DR does not cater to americans at all. The food is awful. We stayed at Ocean Blue and the resort was nice and the beach was also nice but that is about all I can say about the DR. We would never go back!!!!!!

london, uk
Level Contributor
418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana...not for americans

no disrespect intended here...isnt going on vacation all about a different way of life for a couple of weeks? im British and they didnt cook me a sunday roast dinner but im not complaining.

Maidenhead UK
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana...not for americans

i agree with you excited_bride_2_b

these yanks have no idea of how to relaxand enjoy themselfs as they think everyone is out to get them

Maidenhead UK
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana...not for americans

i agree with you excited_bride_2_b

these yanks have no idea of how to relax and enjoy themselfs as they think everyone is out to get them

orlando
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana...not for americans

I was not asking for a big american meal but a hambuger that was a hambuger would have been nice or a slice of pizza that taste like pizza not asking to much is it? No disrepect to you either but they cater to the uk travler and not to the american. I was a travel agent for nine years and have been all over the caribbean and loved them all. The DR is just not my cup of tea. I would return to Jamacia for my 26 time before ever going back to the DR.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana...not for americans

Why should it exclusively cater to Americans??? There are people from many countries travelling there!!! Should everyone be complaining? The food is Dominican, it is to be expected that it will be different!

I have travelled to over 10 different countries and lived in 3, food is different in each of them! Am I supposed to be screaming that the trips were aweful?

Last year during my trip to Scotland I found the food to be not North American and people did not really make an effort to speak proper english, but instead had their usual scottish accent - I could barely understand that!!! LOL LOL LOL

Why does that sound funny? You can not honestly say that you would expect anything different!

It is like that all over the world, unless you vacation in an area that is pretty much taken over by Americans!

If you have a problem experiencing other cultures, food etc. - stay in your safe zone!!!

Ps. Just in case you thought I had a problem with America - I don't as I'm moving there this summer after I get married - my fiance is from NJ.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana...not for americans

It seems to me that there are a lot of Americans out there who love parts or ALL of the Dominican Republic. If it wasn't your thing, that's too bad, but I wouldn't want one person's experience and opinion to be representative of that of my whole country.

Others have been more than satisfied. Why not try another area before judging the whole country? Then again, if the DR has to defend itself before you even get there, it likely wouldn't live up to your expectations so you are better off to stay away, as you plan.

orlando
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana...not for americans

To all the amercians reading this you can see how the Uk feels about the DR and the Americans and that is what you will find at your resort also. There was only two other american couples there and we stuck togther.

Ohio
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana...not for americans

This yank knows exactly how to relax and have a good time. My husband and I have been to Punta Cana 2x in the past year and love it. So don't judge everyone by one review. We like the idea of trying new things and the fact that there aren't that many Americans or (yanks) as you call us there we spend even more time together just the two of us. I would recommend DR to any yank out there!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana...not for americans

to:alcat

I tend to agree with you I have been going to D.R. for many years and I will admit because it was cheap. Being from New York I find the food bordering on awful. Even when I went to Secrets which so many people rave about I found only mediocre. Once again because it was cheap I overlooked many things. Staying in many hotels in D.R. I find that the staff is

very friendly but they are not properly trained in hospitality.

Reading this forum you would think that D.R. is some exotic

place, but if you off the resort, you will find nothing but filth and poverty. Leaving to Florida on Friday, and been there many times, there so much more to do and enjoy. And food is

definetly on par with New York.

Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana...not for americans

I believe that those who want American food abroad should stay in America and not travel anywhere else. I believe that this is a point of traveling: meeting new people, tasting different food - this is what makes all those trips exciting