We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria?

New York
8 posts
Save Topic
Malaria?

Did anyone take any precautions? Someone told me last thursday that there was an outbreak? I am not sure how true that is so any information would be helpful!!

Thank you!

On., Canada
Level Contributor
270 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria?

This still seems to be a concerning topic & I really think that everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with.

About 1/3 of our group of 46 took meds(I did not).

We saw 1 mosquito the 1st night & 2 the next & then none. That being said...whose to say that those 3 little guys aren't the guilty ones!!!!!!!!

We were on the 4th floor & slept with our balcony door open every night & didn't have one in our room.

Do what makes YOU feel good.

New York
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria?

Thank you. I am getting nervous from hearing about the bad food and stomach problems I want to be cautious as possible.

On., Canada
Level Contributor
270 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria?

Babe...I do suggest taking lots of stomach/bowel aids. We were there last year(different resort) & didn't have a problem but for some reason this year there was. Almost everyone from our group took something at one time or another if not every day. Can't figure out what the heck was casuing it though.

New York
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria?

Yes I am planning on bringing Immodium AD and Pepto Bismol as well as tums etc. I hear I need to lockthem in my safe because medicine is very expensive there and they take what ever than can get their hands on

west yorks
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria?

Hiya babe71

We returned from PP last week. We all took our first dose of malaria then stopped, they made us feel sick etc. We werent bitten badly. I had maybe two bites, but it wasnt a problem

But i would take the pepto etc with you. We werent ill just a bit of an iffy stomach nothing to spoil our holiday or anything like that, probably the cocktails and the different food we tried, you know what its like at a buffet, you end up eating all sorts of different things you wouldnt dream of serving up together all on one plate at home!!!

The weather was soooo hot!! We took precautions with cream and had to get to the swim up bar to cool off!!!

Hope you have a great time, dont worry just enjoy it

Julie

london, uk
Level Contributor
418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria?

i have just returned from punta cana, i took the meds before i went and my first day there, didnt get any bites or see any mosquitos the first week so decided not to continue with meds, 2nd week i got around 15 bites and see a few mosquitos, if i were you id take the precautions.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria?

Malaria is endemic in the area, it spread a bit to the resort areas as workers moved from the inland plantation areas to help with rebuilding the hurricane damaged coastal towns and resorts, we took pills on a trip in February to La Romana but its a long long shot, regardless if you want to get it spend time walking and feeding and sleeping well inland at any time, if your time is spents in a resort all the time forget about it, you are more likely to catch it in Washington Heights NYC !

london, uk
Level Contributor
418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria?

sawasdee i agree, they fogged the resort every morning and it wasnt until my 2nd week there that i left the resort which is probably where i got my bites, i did see a few mosquitios early evening in the resort but nothing major, i usually get eaten alive by them when i travel so this time wasnt too bad.