We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

Every trip is different...you have your good and bad ones.....

The resort is the best one week, then the resort from hell the next...only YOU can make your vacation either good or bad........

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

Well said Rescue344!!!!!!!!!!!

forney, texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

I could not agree with you more.

Ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

I agree also BUT, why then are people posting comments on the forums complaining about food and sicknesses when they know well ahead of time what to expect. Isn't that the purpose of this website? To give people a heads up so they can make an educated decision? Things like "no towels swans" left on the beds, I agree is not a legitamate beef but things like, "the food was gross, everyone was sick from this and that". Those are the things that made me say, 'NO WAY I'M GOIN THERE'.

Ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

I agree also BUT, why then are people posting comments on the forums complaining about food and sicknesses when they know well ahead of time what to expect. Isn't that the purpose of this website? To give people a heads up so they can make an educated decision? Things like "no towels swans" left on the beds, I agree is not a legitamate beef but things like, "the food was gross, everyone was sick from this and that". Those are the things that made me say, 'NO WAY I'M GOIN THERE'.

forney, texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

You also have to read all the reviews and see that there are good reviews too. I also know that there are bad reviews from Mexico as well as good ones. We have learned over the years to research where we are going but we also understand that some people's opinions are different about the same place.

Ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

I fully understand that, but opinions are opinions and facts are facts. The facts are, the place is polluted right now with illnessess. All I'm saying is that I don't understand why people are coming on here and giving out bad reviews because they got sick when they knew full well that it was out there before they left. It's like throwing yourself into the fire and then complaining about getting burned.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

"polluted with illnesses" is pretty harsh! The flu bug here in Jan & Feb was horrible, the pollen count is so high right now most people sound like they are on deaths door. In our county last year we had a major scare with the local well water being contaminated by MCBE's (not sure if that is the correct abreviation) leaking from local gas station tanks.

You are correct in your observation that websites such as Tripadvisor are indeed to inform and /or gather information prior to making decisions regarding vacation trips. However, creating mass panic because someone had stomach problems and someone else was bitten by a mosquito is not helpful information in any form.

Just my .0285 cents worth!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

to:budgirl

Once again could not said any better than you did.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

to:OBXBum

That was not simple stomach problem. I am talking about Puerto Plata it started at Riu complex at end of Nov. 2004 and

from what I gather is still ongoing. Yes I agree you can get ill

in New York too, but what happened in Riu complex is unacceptable. It should have been taken care most sooner.

Why do you think all these people from U.K. Canada and U.S.

are complaining.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How come everyone is an EXPERT these days

budgirl,

IMHO "The facts are, the place is polluted right now with illnessess" is both a gross generalization and is patently untrue. Thousands of travellers each week enjoy trouble-free vacations all over the DR and some do encounter problems; but just because you contend that something is a "fact" does not make it so. I am niether making excuses for bad performers whose actions cause problems nor condoning whining by some people who travel knowingly to problem areas and then complain but your contention should still be either opinion or fact-based; not a gross generalization.

OBXBum,

I think you may mean MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether) which has been used in gasoline as an octane enhancer since lead was banned.

See: http://www.epa.gov/mtbe/gas.htm

Gregg