We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ocean sand beach and golf resort

fleetville pa
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
ocean sand beach and golf resort

looking for any new info on this resort.....we're going in february and hope it's as nice as it sounds!...checked out website www.oceanhotels.net but still no pics....let me know if anyone can help! thanx

Sussex, NB
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
661. Re: ocean sand beach and golf resort

Stayed at Ocean Blue from March 17th - 31st/o5. The flight was as usual - not bad. The airport is now familiar to us as we have been to the Dominican 6 times. The places we have stayed are Catalonia (twice), Sunscape, Grand Paradise and Princess Bavaro before this year's Ocean Blue.

The road into the resort was terrible and we had real reservations about the trip as we thought that if the resort was as bad as the front entrance, we were in trouble!

The lobby was a bit sparse and devoid of much color - a few tropical flowers added would perk it up. Definitely not as nice as other resorts we have stayed at. The check-in was great as the staff spoke English, were helpful and the area is air-conditioned; they also handed out cold scented towels and cool drinks. It went very quickly and we got what we asked for - an upper level room with a balcony.

The resort gets nicer as you go toward the rooms. The walkways were clean with new gardens lining the paths. The room was medium sized with a fridge (stocked with water and pop - TIP: take a beachbag to the bartender, give him a tip and ask him for beer for the room - we got 2 large bottles when we asked) Do not do this in front of security or other staff!

ROOMS: The TV had excellent movies/channels if you happen to get too much sun and want to hide out for the hottest part of the day.

The room was plain but comfortable - nice pillows and mattress. Nothing fancy - no pictures on the walls - but jacuzzi tub in the bathroom.

The maid will give you anything you ask for - we would ask for extra towels, water, or whatever and we thanked her with a tip.

We left her small gifts - T-shirt, toothpaste, cosmetics, jewelry. etc. The safe was a pleasant surprise - no extra fee, no key - just an electronic programmable number - use your phone number to open and close.....or whatever. The water pressure was probably better than back home, no problems except for a bit of splashing out from the shower due to the design of the shower door - since you don't clean the bathroom, not a big problem! A/C worked well.

As a comparison, Catalonia has the nicest rooms, Princess Bavaro has the biggest rooms and a close second for nicest rooms. Princess has the nicest decks by far - large wicker furniture with cushions and a glass top table and the deck itself is big enough for a small party! Ocean Blue have the standard balconies with plastic chairs. Catalonia has incredible bathrooms - one side with toilet and shower and another side with a huge round tub and full vanity - all marble and mirrors.

THE POOL: Ocean Blue has 2 large pools connected to a children's pool. There is a large cool jacuzzi also near the pool. 2 swim-up bars - Eduardo can make just about any drink and his Cosmopolitans are unforgettable! The best thing was the pool was never crowded, plenty of empty chairs - I have a photo of me floating in the huge empty pool at midday.

Prize for BEST pool goes to Catalonia Bavaro - has to be seen to be believed - BEAUTIFUL!

RESTAURANTS: This resort undoubtedly has the best a la carte restaurants as we had wonderful T-bone steaks, beef tenderloin, chicken, Mexican tacos, desserts, mashed potato, cappuccino, lattes, muffins, etc. The buffet was fine but smaller than I would expect for a larger resort. It was OK - we always found something but preferred the steaks at Route 66 and the tenderloin at the Grill (la Brassa?). Mike's coffee House was great for coffee and dessert. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the Dominican Restaurant was. Even things I ordered to be adventurous were delicious. I tried a soup with goat, quail and vegetables - it was fantastic! They also have an appetizer with plantain, beef and cheese which tasted like a lasagna - it was excellent. Our favorite each morning were the Mimosas - champagne and orange juice with breakfast and omelettes.

EXCURSIONS: Saona Island - a long day and the beach at the resort was just as nice. The catamaran was the best part but the 2 hour bus ride each way was tiring. You do get to see the towns though - quite interesting. And a nice barbecue and buffet.

MUSIC: a good variety with soft classical, jazz, hiphop (pool bar), pop, meringue, salsa, and THE BEST SAXOPHONE PLAYER I HAVE EVER HEARD!! (Domingo Rosa from Santo Domingo?) Something for everyone.....

OVERALL: a nice resort, nice beach, nice rooms (could be better), great pool, good food. Ask for Daniel to take you out on the catamaran directly from the resort beach - he is a gem - from Haiti - speaks good English and a good conversationalist to tell you local information. Tip him!!!!

Coventry
2 posts
Save Reply
662. Re: ocean sand beach and golf resort

Hi there, we too have just booked our holiday for this resort and are struggling to find information because of how new it is.

Don't know if you have tried the web address below, but if you click on the hotel name in 'Debbie's Reviews' there are about 90 photographs of the resort which gives you a really good feel for the place.

http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com

Hope this helps.