We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

can anyone tell me how much it costs and if its worth it? is the island really much more beautiful than Punta Cana?

Thanks for the info

london, uk
Level Contributor
418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

we went on this excursion, its a lovely island, we booked it through our airtours rep, he told us we would go snorkelling, shopping and be able to hold starfish, none of that happened, we stopped at a natural pool for 30 minutes, then continued by speedboat to saona, stayed 3 hours on the beach, had lunch and left on a catamaran then coach back to our hotel, it isnt suitable for young children even though our rep told us otherwise. i would go again if there were more time on the island.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

I took my 10 year old at the time and he had an absolute blast. Slept all the way back to the resort though, after spending all day outside.

london, uk
Level Contributor
418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

the children in our party were all aged 8 and under, only the 2 8 year olds enjoyed it, the younger ones were scared, cried a little and everyone on the trip complained about the kids.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

I'm thinking of going on too, by what everyone says I'm leaning closer to yes! But one question, how many people go on the tour with you?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

We had our group of 14 in the speed boat over, then a full catamaran of however many that holds = 85 maybe? Fun though. You talk to the people who are situated closest to you or seek out otheres and try to stay away from the woman wearing the same bathing suit as you!!

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

Hi,

I read on other reviews that when you arrive at Saona beach, there are local children and they ask for candy. Is this true? because if it is, I will like to be prepared.

Thank you

pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

Me and my family went on this tour in June. It was a blast! We only had to drive about 10 minutes to get to the catamaran and once you arrive at the depart location, you will see many large tour buses. I guess these are the buses from Punta Cana and other destinations. Mobs of ppl all gathered in the parking lot as they wait to go with their tour guides to the beach. Yes, the locals work the crowd with hats, jewelry and the popular doo-rags. You can bargain them down, they will try to sell you the black saona island doo rags on the trip but it was more expensive. We got 5 for 17 on the trip but I saw one person purchase one from a local for $3.00. There are many children and I'm sure some treats would be welcomed. I brought an extra bag of clothing that usually goes to good will and gave it to our maid, she was soooo thankful that I wish I'd brought more. It was worth the effort to take one more bag. As far as Saono; The catamaran ride was great, the island was beautiful, very wavy water and the food there, ok. The speed boat back was fun, Our tour guide stopped in the deeper water before the natural pool, jumped in and brought up a couple red starfish. When we arrived at the natural pool, we all jumped in (waist deep) played a couple games and were able to swim around a bit. I did find a red starfish; I think I was the only one. I have the picture posted somewere on this site. It is a fun trip......enjoy!

Toronto
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

I highly recommend this excursion..it was the first one I ever took in DR and it is definately worth "sacrificing" a day on the beach at the resort and a good opportunity to get off the AI...it is really trading one beach for another and seeing some beautiful sights and experiencing the beautiful underwater life when snorkelling. Never did have the "stinky bus" experience...I go on the local buses in DR alll the time!

Telford, PA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: anyone recommend the Saona island excursion

Sexymomma: YES!! There are some locals on the island that will do little things for cash like hair-braiding (not the best but pretty "cheap") and massages. There was one darling little guy that was with these women and I soooo wished I had something for him! I was kicking myself because I had brought a bunch of kid's stuff from home to give out but didn't think to bring it along with me to the island!!! I really wished I would have! I loved this tour......I highly recommend it!