We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North York Ontario
Level Contributor
698 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

My friends Travel Agent told her- that May through August is Snake Season on Bavaro Beach in Punta Cana. I had never heard of this before and assumed it was a Huge Joke until I found several news reports on Google regarding serious attacks by the "Dominican Rattler" recently. The snake is referred to as, "Pepe the Long One". Apparently Dominican Rattle Snakes reach 6 feet in length. I went on to read that almost every resort this year is going to be spraying the Holes in the Sand for these hungry long Snakes.

I thought it was a big joke until I actually Googled it and all this info came up.. I for one will be wearing my Shoes on the Beach. Apparently the first thing these Snakes do is go for your Big toe.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

EncoreYou should be kind to these snakes. We always bring a pile of $!.00 for the staff at the resorts so why not wear sandles at the beach and at least allow them a lick or two!!!!!

lol

Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

Great now I can leave ricky the rattler at home he takes up to much room in the luggage anyway.Too bad I'll lose a foot, I guess the snake show will still be okay.Encore do you know if sunscape has any of Pepe"s family in that area have they migrated there yet? Again, Encore thank you for this important and informative news story!

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

When you Googled did you find stories on how many tourists were swallowed up whole by them varmin?

Probably safe from the snakes but will you venture into the ocean? Ever imagine how many unseen creatures are floating about in the shallow warm waters inside the reefs? Not to mention the number of tourists who NEVER venture up to the toilets all day! Wonder why they go for a bit of a dip in the ocean?

Have fun and could you bring me back a pair of snakeskin boots? Size 10 US....Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

Encore. its Photophil or Photoman same person just a split personality. On the days I feel womanly and pretty I become BellaSky. lol

I was thinking, if we could find someone here who has a cottage in northern Ontario. We might be able to talk them into capturing a few rattlers for us so we can breed and train for the Dominie Olympics taking place in the DR this fall. We still don't have any hockey yet and the strike might go on a long time. We could use replacement snakes instead. We would have to change the rules a bit....... He bites he scores!!!!!!!!

Phil

North York Ontario
Level Contributor
698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

Excellent replies everyone.. Humor is so important..

I was waiting for someone to ask me to 'quote my source' or berate me for posting such a fearful subject. And that I am an awful person for scareing the naive.

Photo Phil you are also Bella?- now thats bad! That means you were having a conversation with yourself, and I was following it.

Yes Lorna dear- they have migrated to your beach too- but they never bite the pretty girls- so no probs.

Yes Akron- I am bringing you back some Snake Skin booties.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

Watch out! I'm also Encorefun! I think I'm in trouble....

So the snakes got to DR too..........

And I thought I only had to deal with them here!

lol

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

Encore. I was pulling your snake on you. I am Photophil at home and Photoman at work. BellaSky is from Hamilton and is going to yell at me for saying I was her. I am from Barrie where they are building the new snake training school. I think it's called "Bite ME Collage"

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

Lawyers can be found there any time of year.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

I wonder where Encore is .......I know she is packing for Saturday, but maybe went to the Muskokas to grab a few big ones to take with her to the DR. She might want to do a trial run and see if steroids are needed for the Dominie Olympics this fall.....we would hate so loose ...lol

Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: When is Snake Season?(and are they spraying)

photoman/photophil I thought you were kinda weird before but now it's clear!

encore still enjoying your posts thanks 3 more sleeps***