We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkel gear

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
862 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
snorkel gear

I'm heading to PC in a few days. Is it worth bringing my own snorkel gear, or is it easy to borrow at the resorts? I wouldn't mind wandering down the beach for spots outside the resort, and am unsure of the restrictions when using the resort's gear?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,058 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkel gear

It may depend on the resort as to the restrictions.

I bring my own snorkel and mask. You can ensure that it is cleaned to your specifications and you can ensure fit. When I bought my mask, I tried on a couple to get the one that hugged my face the most comfortably. If you like your equipment, I say stick with it.

You can likely get fins from the resort. That's what I did, but I was also prepared to snorkel without them if that was required.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkel gear

We took our own. I was surprised at how little room it required.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
862 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkel gear

I guess I'll just throw it in the bag except for the fins. Thanks for the input

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkel gear

We took our own, fins included. We would not take the fins next time as they are not necessary, but the snorkel and mask are a must. Do not use theirs as they do not clean between people. It does not take up much room in your luggage for a mask and snorkel and is much safer. I would leave the fins at home though as they take up alot of room and really aren't necessary plus they have lots at the resorts that you can borrow if you really want them.

NJ
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkel gear

I was worried about them not being clean, but the snorkel excursion we went on they threw them right into a barrel with antisceptic in it as soon as we took them off. Although if i had my own i would bring it, but for those that dont, dont stress about it, or bring a little pocket pack of antibacterial wipes and wipe it out before you use it. By the way, on the way BACK to the airport, we heard that although we couldnt see any fish in the water on the beach of the resort, if you are going to Sand/Blue, LTI or Iberostar, you will be near the sunken ship, I heard there is fish to see in the water off the beach near there. Wish we had known that the day before.