We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What if we need medical care?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
10 helpful votes
What if we need medical care?

To be proactive, how can I prepare for an emergency requiring a hospital visit? Does my US health insurance step in, or am I on my own?

8 replies to this topic
Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
12,476 posts
190 reviews
616 helpful votes
1. Re: What if we need medical care?

Should consider travel insurance because if your insurance does not cover it your travel insurance will. Either way you will have to pay upfront. If you have to go to a hospital they may accept credit cards. The one my wife was taken to accepted our credit card.

Edited: 9:24 pm, October 21, 2018
Level Contributor
196 posts
2. Re: What if we need medical care?

You get travel insurance for if you get hurt, have to cancel etc.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
9 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: What if we need medical care?

You should absolutely take out travel/ medical insurance ... Depending on your carrier/ policy will depend if you or they will pay upfront.be sure to read your fine print as to what is covered . Don't leave home without it.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8,108 posts
34 reviews
86 helpful votes
4. Re: What if we need medical care?

Even if you visited Canada unless stated your US Health insurance would not “kick in” .

The best you might hope for would be to pay the bill yourself, and they would reimburse you for what they cover.

You should never leave your country without adequate a travel health insurance. Some credit cards will have coverage if you pay for the trip with it.

Check with your policy, to see if you have to pay first, then you need to know that you can access thousands if necessary. A policy where they pay up front may cost more, and you have to purchase them before you leave home.

Seattle
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: What if we need medical care?

You should consider travel insurance.

I recommend checking out

www.tripinsurancestore.com

Or

www.insurmytrip.com

Note that many medical facilities in the Caribbean will require you to pay up front for any required medical care. You’re not in Kansas anymore Toto.

After you get home, you then file for reimbursement thru your travel insurance provider.

Also check your credit card to see if they provide any coverage for your trip.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
38 reviews
231 helpful votes
6. Re: What if we need medical care?

I would check with you current insurance carrier and ask them questions about travel.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
7. Re: What if we need medical care?

You really need to check the terms of your insurance coverage before making a decision or following the advice of strangers to spend $$ on extra insurance.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
813 posts
137 reviews
77 helpful votes
8. Re: What if we need medical care?

You also need to check if your current medical insurance will cover repatriation costs. The cost of medical evacuation can be horrendous.

Reply to: What if we need medical care?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted