We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

Overall, trip was nice but I most likely wound not return to Punta Cana. The resort grounds were beautiful and food was way better than what I expected it to be but the service was horrible. Trip is worth because of the cost in comparison to other carribean vacations. However, the poverty and corruption of the country shows in the attitude of its people. STB was understaffed and unfriendly for the most part. The people really seemed to be hit or miss, both in the airport and at the resort. Some were the most unfriendly people Ive ever encountered and Im from the NYC area. The pricetag made is worth it but I doubt I'd recommend the trip to anyone else.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

I have been lookinig at this resort to go with my 2 children but they look very small, how did you find the rooms.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

The rooms were nice and clean. For hotel rooms, I didn't find them small at all. There are adjoining rooms also if that is a consideration for you.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

d75angel:

I agree that the people at the airport are very unfriendly...think it is part of the job description...never saw even 1 smile!

Did you find the staff member at STB unfriendly? We were at the resort last month and found everyone to be VERY FRIENDLY. We had excellent service...fast and always with a smile. We love the Dominican people. Trip #5 is this Saturday...STB...2 week stay...can't wait!

Brenda :~)

ohio
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

That has to be one of the first times I have heard the staff wasnt friendly, Im sorry you had that experience. We are going in a few months and I have been on here relentlessly getting tips and ideas on ways to make the trip better. I know that the trip from the airport to the resort is long so we planned ahead and made arrangements for other means....as far as the poverty, I have heard those same observations from just about everyplace in the carribean. Im going to just keep my mind open (as well as my eyes and ears)

MD
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

We're going to STB and heard about the long trip from the airport. I'm curious what "other means" you arranged to get to the hotel from the airport. Thanks

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

If you booked through a tour company (ground transportation included), you will be placed in a bus or van for your ride to STB. You may or may not need to stop at other resorts along the way to STB...dropping off other travelers...takes more time than a private transfer.

You can hire a taxi...direct drive to the resort. You can do this at the airport...many taxis available. Make sure you agree on the price in USD prior to departing the airport. And, notify your tour operator that you will not be using the provided ground transportation. This way they wouldn't be waiting for you.

You can also arrange a helicopter transfer with Helidosa...$144 per person.

Having said the previous, the ride to STB is not that bad. It gives you a chance to see the countryside. Our ride last month was about 45 minutes.

Brenda :~)

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

Hi there entmd,

Some folks also prearrange their "taxi service" through

http://www.dominicanairporttransfers.com/

Sr. Silva gets high marks from many here on the forum.

Hope this helps,

When will you be going to STB?

I just sent you a PM with some info.

all the best,

bb/mt

MD
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

Thanks baltobabe,

Going 12/24/07 for 7 nights. Do people arrange their own trip from the airport because of problems with Apple transportation? I'm going with my wife and 3 kids and would prefer an easy trip if it's worth spending the money. Otherwise,I think my transportation is included. Thanks for helping your neighbor just down 95 south. "Rockvilleguy"

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

I would say stick with the Apple included transport and save the money for the Spa or a romantic dinner on the beach....but thats me! LOL!

The transportation that Apple provides is great...since so many folks go to STB it is normall full with STB guests and you don't have many stops to make...

bb/mt

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach

Take the Apple bus. It will probably just stop at STB. You can get a few beers for the ride right at the airport as you walk past all the porters look to the right for a beer stand.. $2 per beer I think. You only save about 15 to 30 mins over a taxi. Like BB said, use that money for a nice dinner on the beach, a few nice bottles of wine with dinner, spa etc. And by the way, STB is the friendliest resort I have ever been to!