We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Bahia Principe

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just returned from Bahia Principe

Just spent a week at the Bahia Principe resort in Punta Cana, we were on the Bavaro side and it was beautiful. I'll be writing a review in the next few days but if you have any questions just ask.

We sent the hotel a bldg and floor request and they accomodated no problem. We were thinking of upgrading to the Golden bldgs when we arrived but since they gave us the bldg we wanted we didn't bother. Booking the a la cartes restaurants were not a problem. Lots of food and never had to wait to get a table. Remember an extra "credit card" to leave in the slot in your room so the A/C continues to work. We didn't rent the save but ended up putting our money, passports and tickets in one of our bags and locking it. Not a thing went missing from our room. Didn't see 1 mosquito on the trip but we did take our Hep A and B shot but no Malaria drugs. No regrets.

Pool and beach area is beautiful and yes you do have to get up early to get a chair in a shaded area. We didn't always get one in the beginning but they usually became available after lunch. Try not to worry about anything and enjoy the beautiful scenery around you. Do bring the everyday drugs like tylenol, bandaids, immodium, gravol etc as it is very expensive for these items. As well bring snacks like Pringles, peanuts etc not just for the hotel but for the wait at the airport. Pringles at the Punta Cana airport was $5.00 US per can. There is construction on both sides of the hotel so try to get a bldg alon the main path of the resort. And the trams are constantly running, never had to walk far if you didn't want to.

Anything else just ask.......but as they say don't worry be happy you're on vacation! And yes a little spanish will help.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana Airport
Punta Cana Airport
Dominican Republic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Bahia Principe

Catherine, so glad you had a nice time!! We leave on Friday!! Was the construction obtrusive or loud?? What bldg did you stay in? What kind of view??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Bahia Principe

We asked for either bldg 25 or 27 and got 27 third floor corner room. Bldg 25 is closer than 27 to the beach but all withing a few minutes walk to the pool. Our view from the balcony looked at the path going towards the pool and other bldgs, so we didn't see any of the construction. If you get a bldg that's not along the outer lying rows of bldgs you should be ok.

I remembered you asked about adjoining rooms and we ran into a couple that stayed in the Golden club in bldg 2 which had an adjoining room. I'm not sure if you wanted 1 king or 2 twins but you should send a request ahead of time so you don't have to go through any changes when they get there.

Have a great trip and bring lots of suntan lotion!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Bahia Principe

We didn't upgrade, so I wonder if they will put us there?? LOL! I doubt it, but I can always dream of a free upgrade! We would like to have one room with Kind and the other with two beds...do you remember what they had? I am hoping this won't be a problem....I don't think my 18 yr old niece wants to be be rolled all over by my 3 yr old! LOL! I have sent my requests, and just like you they sent back saying they will do their best. So we will see when we arrive on Friday!

Do you remember what kind of water activities they offered? And if they limited your time?

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Bahia Principe

where od you send your requests to? im leaving for this resort on april 30th

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Bahia Principe

where od you send your requests to? im leaving for this resort on april 30th

North Carolina
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Bahia Principe

Deehan, I sent it to a lady at the resort...Albania Batista

ABatista@puntacana.bahia-principe.com

Catherine, what was your favorite a la carte restaurant?

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Bahia Principe

Hey deehan. Are you going to Bahia Princpe in Punta Cana or San Juan? I thougth I read on another site you were going to San Juan. We, 3 girls from the Rock, are going to Punta Cana from May 7th to May 21st. When are you going?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Bahia Principe

Ready4FunNSun,

They may give you the room in that bldg if its the only one that will accomodate your request, you never know. I don't remember what they beds were in their room (good luck!).

There were paddle boats, catamarans and other non motorized water things you can use. The only one we booked were paddle boats and one day they said we could have it for 1/2 hour and another they said 1 hour so I guess it depends on how busy they were that day, we were able to book for the next day. My husband took one of the kids out to the ship wreck when they got it for 1 hour and managed to get out there and back within the hour. They also listed boogie boards but I didn't remember seeing anyone with them.

The waves in the oceon was rough enough for the kids to have fun without having to worry about them. Before we left I had read about the rough waves so I brought down their life jackets and we didn't use it once.

We did bring our snorkel gear and there's nothing too exciting in front of our hotel but if you walk along the beach towards the market (go right when you are at the beach facing the oceon) pass the Iberostar hotels you'll see an area of other people snorkeling. I think there's more to see down there. We never went down there, we got too lazy and just lazed around the pool and beach and watched the volleyball games, water polo and the "save Madona" skit.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
10,299 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Bahia Principe

One more thing, I didn't see any place that provided beach or water toys for young children so you may want to bring some beach toys or floating things. Even a ball to throw in the water would've been good for my kids.

Many parents with young kids brought their own toys and it made a difference.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Bahia Principe

Catherine, I picked them up weeks ago and packed them today! Floats, blow up balls, and sand toys...

anything else you can think of we might need?

How long of a walk was it to where they were snorkeling?? We love to snorkel, but I'm not sure if it will be worth the trouble to bring our own gear?