We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Blue/Sands

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
178 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Blue/Sands

We stayed at the Ocean Blue (same as Ocean Sands) from 2nd to 12th April 07.

Accommodation was OK, but not the 5 star we expected from our travel agent's description. The bed was very comfortable, but the furniture was, well let's say ethnic, cute but quirky! The light bulbs are energy-saving, and I believe that guests should respect the efforts of the local community to save energy and not bring bulbs from outside! We never had a problem with hot water, although one day the water was turned off due to some problem, but quickly fixed. The hotel and grounds are impeccably kept, always very clean.

Our teenage sons had a blast and really enjoyed the water sports and the pool-side entertainment, bowling and other games as well as the nightly disco. There were lots of teenagers there and they made friends, which added to their enjoyment.

Parents might like to be aware that alcohol is freely available to under 18s, even though they wear wrist bands that indicate they are minors.

We spent all our time at the beach, as we weren't prepared to get up early enough to reserve pool-side sun loungers. That meant we sometimes had to sit on the sand, but very seldom. We also thought that the pool looked dirty, especially towards the end of our holiday.

As mentioned by others, Route 66 was terrible; service and food. The Dominican was the most interesting, and the buffet had a fine variety of foods available at every mealtime.

As European visitors we had the inconvenience of running out of US$ a few days before the end of our stay. Pesos are available in the hotel ATM, but the guys in the Internet centre were most unwilling to give change in pesos - a big minus in our opinion. We could have gone out to a local bank, but managed without doing so. A staff member at the Guest Services office, found someone willing to sell us dollars for pesos. Rotten rate, but we were glad to get them.

There were a few weddings in the resort during our stay. I wouldn't have been happy if it were my wedding! I felt that the ceremony on the beach especially was very public, pretty much among the sunbeds. There was a pretty pergola where we saw another wedding party, but again it was very public.

Reading back on this, I think it sounds a little negative, but I'm really just trying to make people aware before they go of things that might make a difference to their holiday.

As mentioned by another contributor the guys at the buffet restaurant door, (Royal) trying to sell tours can be quite rude. But once you give them the cold shoulder they back off.

We loved the resort and had a really relaxing holiday which was just what we wanted.

Mags. Cork

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,845 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Blue/Sands

mags: your information is very helpful. I hope you paste this on the reviews section , this way, other travellers will see this, and it won't get lost in the forum.

2. Re: Ocean Blue/Sands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 19, 2009