We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Punta Cana airport question - overweight luggage

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wyoming
Level Contributor
926 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Another Punta Cana airport question - overweight luggage

We'll be flying into and out of the Punta Cana airport for the first time. Everywhere else in the world, luggage is weighed and assessments are charged by personnel from the airline or their contractor. Do airline personnel or their contractors weight luggage in Punta Cana? If so, has anyone reported these scams to the airline after arriving back home? Are most of the overweight luggage scams limited to a specific airline. We'll be on USA3000. Thanks, j

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Punta Cana airport question - overweight luggage

Punta Cana airport contractor weighs the luggage...sometimes with a toe on the scales and pockets the overweight charges.

They have been contacted numerous times but the scak continues sporadically.

If it happens it is best to yell Supervisora, Bandido's no propina very loudly, until someone comes and get things straigtened out.

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Punta Cana airport question - overweight luggage

hlywud

so what happens if you have just enough cash to pay the departure tax and not a penny more...... which is usually what I have, I love to shop!!!

And we don't have a credit card and don't intend on taking a debit card.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Punta Cana airport question - overweight luggage

We flew into Punta Cana on West Jet (a Canadian airline) on an Air Transat vacation package. When checking our luggage for the trip home, the representative told me I needed to pay $80 for overweight luggage - which I new to be inacurrate because we where at the limit going down, and bringing home less than we took with us.

After reading reports of this "scam" in other TA posts, I was prepared. I took out my American Express card and told them that was how I intended to pay the over weight charge. Amazingly, it immediately became a "Non- Issue".

I would have been more than happy to pay a "legitimate" charge if we had been bringing anything more home than we brought with us, but in this case I knew it wasn't true, as we had brought a significant number of gifts for the hotel personnel, plus had left behind four sets of snorkles , masks and fins that we didn't want to carry home.

NB Canada
Level Contributor
760 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Punta Cana airport question - overweight luggage

This happens to us every year, and just again on Monday, we were under flying down, and then didnt bring anything home, and left all toilettries, shamp, cond, body wash, all 5 sunscreens etc.......so we knew we were quite under, BUT sure enough they tried again, and we just firmly said NO, we know it isnt over and we are not paying it, if you dont like it, get a supervisor out here to talk to us. They dropped it at that.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Punta Cana airport question - overweight luggage

Hi Kjt, i just came back and my airport experience was great i never had one problem I didn't see any scales when you put your luggage up for them to tag i looked on the side like cleveland airport has and it weights your luggage but i never saw andyscales. I new i wasn't over weight anyway because i came down light and didn't bring back much souviners. I never had one problem i kept looking around and expecting something but easy in and out for me. Thank God! They do have drug sniffing dogs that walk around everyones luggage when your waiting in line.

6. Re: Another Punta Cana airport question - overweight luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 29, 2009