We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Express

atlanta
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vacation Express

Hello, Anyone used them before and have any tips?

Do they have a first class? What's the price difference and is it worth it?

What about upgrades at the hotel?

Thanks for all your feedback!

atlanta
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Express

WE jsut came back from Breezes with them.

Look for my complaint under Breezes with kids. They do have a first class cabin but not worth it. What day of the week are you leaving?n We left Mon. and it was a zoo at the airport, but the flight down was great.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
751 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Express

I flew transmeridian, which is the airlines for vacation express from kentucky to orlando a few weeks before I flew AA to DR. I had no space on TMA, couldn't move around at all. When I flew AA I could tell the difference!! I actually had space to move around.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Express

We tried Vacation Express last year after several trips with Apple. . We were delayed 4 hrs on the trip down, and three on the trip back due to "equipment problems." Vacation Express is teamed with a new charter airline this year. However, a friend of ours was recently stuck at Punta Cana airport for 8 (yes, 8) hours due to "equipment problems" with the new airline. He arrived home at 5 a.m. Different airline from the one we had last year, but the same problems apparently. Vacation Express has some good bargains, but in addition to delay problems, you have to transfer at Orlando Sanford, which is the hub for all final destinations. If ANY of the connecting flights coming into Sanford are delayed, you will sit on the plane in Sanford. Apple VAcations, on the other hand, has direct flights from many cities. We have never been delayed more than a few minutes with Apple, and we're back with Apple this year. I have not ruled out Vacation Express completely, but it will take a really good bargain to lure us back. Compare prices, then decide if the transfer and potential delay are worth any savings. Whatever you chose, have fun.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Express

It appears Smartdesserts and my friend were on the same flight. Smartdesserts says six hours, instead of the 8 hours our friend reported, just to give Vacation Express the benefit of the doubt, if it makes any difference in your decision.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Express

I would like to clear up this discussion a little. I returned from Cancun on Monday, April 11th on Transmeridian Airlines (Vacation Express charter). First of all, Sanford is not the hub for ALL final destinations. It depends on what day you are flying. There are direct flights to your destination out of some of the other cities. You just have to pick the right day.

What happend on Monday was that the plane in Punta Cana had problems. I don't know how long you had to sit in the Punta Cana airport.....6-8 hours. Passengers from Punta Cana had to catch connections in Sanford to Atlanta, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Washington DC. So, we had to wait on these passengers. The delay was over 5 hours. Most of us sat in the Sanford airport for close to 8 hours. Then, to top it all of, they combined the Cincinnati-Washington DC flights. So...Cincinnati passengers had to first fly to Washington DC and then back down to Cincinnati. We (Cincinnati) did not arrive at the airport until 4:35 AM. It was a nightmare. Luckily, we have no children. I felt the worst for those people. I am not sure if this happens often with Transmeridian.....the flight attendants said it doesn't. You have to prepared for this, though, no matter what airline you are flying with. It can happen to anyone. I would rather be safe than sorry. Yes, Transmeridian is a very inexpensive airline and their planes are older. It's your choice...do you want to pay more to fly newer planes and still have chance of being delayed? Right now all the airlines are doing everything they can to save money. They are not going to waste gas to make more trips than needed.

atlanta
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Express

Hey there dottie1. I just got off the phome with TMA and they said that all flights go through Sanford and there are no nonstop flights. The only nonstops are into Sanford. It was a hellacious evening and night. We flew to Atlanta with two small children and didn't land till 2:00am. I feel bad for everyone who had to wait for our flight. Did you at least get any food compensation? we got $12 per person to eat in Punta Cana. At least that was a nice gesture on there behalf.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation Express

Sorry smartdesserts, but All Final Destinations DO NOT connect in SFB. I am a travel agent and have booked direct flights with Vacation Express from Cincinnati to Cancun....no connection in SFB. I was responding to what esoesyo said about ALL final destinations. It may be true if your final destination is Punta Cana - then you must connect in SFB...but for Cancun it is not the case.

We were compensated $7/person for food. Not much.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation Express

Any Thursday or Sunday departures do not connect in SFB.

atlanta
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation Express

dottie1,

Just out of curiosity, are those flights on TMA or on another scheduled airline?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation Express

Dottie, Thanks for the clarifications. I wish VAcation Express well. Competition is good for us. And I certainly have, many times, had delays when flying with the large commercial airlines. As a travel agent, I am sure you understand the problem with hubs. You have several flights coming into Sanford at about the same time to catch flights going out of Sanford at about the same time to several different destinations. If any one of the incoming flights is delayed, every outgoing flight is delayed waiting for the passengers from that one delayed incoming flight. I guess in YOUR case they did not make everyone wait in Sanford for eight hours, but they would have made everyone wait if you were only 2-3 hours late. I agree with you that any traveler has to decide if the extra travel time for non-direct flights is worth it compared to the savings. If I were on a tight budget, or if I could save enough money, I would not hesitate to go with Vacation Express, because other than the flight problems, we had a great experience with them.