We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what % of deet should we use

corona
9 posts
Save Topic
what % of deet should we use

just a quick question whats the percentage of deet in the repelent should i purchase. I saw at target today, 20% then 30% and40%, then i saw the 100% deet. Let me know please we're leaving on april 20th.

thanks casey

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what % of deet should we use

I always use the 30%. You can get Deep Woods off that doesn't smell, with that %. Personally I can't imagine putting anything that is !00% Deet being very good for your skin.

G

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what % of deet should we use

Approximately 140 products containing DEET are currently registered with EPA by about 39 different companies at all different levels. DEET works by masking the insect-attracting odor of carbon dioxide given off by the human body, so higher levels of CO2 the higher % of deet.

Be aware that repellents vary in their DEET concentration, with a 20 to 35% DEET level generally considered adequate.

American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that products used on children contain no more than 10% DEET.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: what % of deet should we use

sl99 98:

My husband and I used the repellent from Target containing 100% deet...worked...did not irritate our skin. I liked the convenient size of the pump...fit in my husband's pocket.

Brenda :~)

nj
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what % of deet should we use

Let me preface by saying I am the mosquito magnet in our family.

I brought three kinds of bug repellent with differing concetrations of deet with us. I ended up using only one because it smelled and felt better - Skintastic clean scent 7% deet. I initially brought this one for our son but ended up using it myself. I got two bites the whole time there (and when I didn't have repellent on) - the first night in the room (yes, check your room at night) and once at the little animal preserve at our resort - it was daytime and I didn't think to put it on. I put a little benedryl lotion and didn't get the big itchy welts I usually get. Otherwise, at night, I sprayed my son and me with Skintastic (on our clothes around the necklines too) every night and we were fine.

I would bring a flying insect spray for the room next time, so I could relax if I couldn't squash a mosquito I saw in the room. I thought I brought a spray this time, but misread the label.

This was our experience - I worried about it alot before we left and it ended up being almost a non-issue. I am sure you will find as many answers to this questions as there are people responding.

magic

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: what % of deet should we use

I'd be very careful using deet with a high %. I mentioned this before on these posts but it's worth mentioning again. Years ago when I flew into the bush in Canada and used 100% deet I had a very adverse reaction to it. It literally peeled the skin off of my ears and face. I wasn't even aware that 100% deet was legal in the U.S. anymore.

John

For whatever it's worth. Last March when I was in PC I can honestly say I didn't see one mosquito. Just my experience.

6. Re: what % of deet should we use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, August 29, 2009