We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence El Carmen - Dinner Dress Code

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
23 reviews
Excellence El Carmen - Dinner Dress Code

Quick questions - the dinner dress code for most of the restaurants calls for 'closed-toed shoes' - are running shoes okay, or do they have to be dress/casual shoes?

I know sneakers aren't the classiest, but I'm trying to pack as lightly as possible and don't want to bother packing another pair of shoes if I don't have to.

7 replies to this topic
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,835 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Excellence El Carmen - Dinner Dress Code

Hi

Sneakers will be OK but as you say not the classiest of footwear and way be a little hot in the warmer months

More importantly will they look out of place with what your wife is wearing

Shoes come is many styles and I always take some lightweight leather slip-ons and boat / deck shoes

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Excellence El Carmen - Dinner Dress Code

Thanks. As you may have gathered, fashion sense is the last thing on my mind when on vacation. :)

With the running shoes, I'm also counting on my obnoxious Hawaiian shirts passing the test as a 'collared shirt' to comply with the dress code!

3 more sleeps!

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Excellence El Carmen - Dinner Dress Code

My husband often wears Hawaiian style shirts and his closed toed shoes are a leather sneaker. It's never been an issue. Something like this:

https:/…

These are the same shoes he wears on the plane for travel so they do double duty.

Edited: 6:36 pm, January 12, 2018
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Excellence El Carmen - Dinner Dress Code

It's strange how dress codes seem to apply mainly to men lol

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Excellence El Carmen - Dinner Dress Code

Yes, take us out of our professional lives, and we loose the ability to discern a respectable fashion sense!

Fergus, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
6. Re: Excellence El Carmen - Dinner Dress Code

Women tend to dress up for the evenings and men dress down. Maybe that’s why there are dress codes.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,835 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: Excellence El Carmen - Dinner Dress Code

Very much agree with Post #6

I think ladies mostly see holidays as an opportunity to buy some new clothes and look forward to dressing up many men are more reluctant to do so

Personally, I like getting dressed up in the evening as to me it is all part of the holiday experience

Reply to: Excellence El Carmen - Dinner Dress Code
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted