We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria tablets

Does anyone have any advice about malaria tablets, we have been told by the doctor that they recommend malaria tablets for punta cana, however a pharmacy and travel agents have told us not to bother as very low risk, what are your opinions on this please? X

10 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets

There must be thousands of discussions on here about this. The upshot is that people from the UK take the anti-malaria meds because of some wonky insurance requirements that seem to be unique to the UK, and people from elsewhere tend not to, because the risk of malaria is so low. Nobody who lives there takes them.

Mark

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets

There is a very,very low risk. No one who lives here takes them. Your insurance company may demand you take them.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,728 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets

"The upshot is that people from the UK take the anti-malaria meds because of some wonky insurance requirements that seem to be unique to the UK"

It is more to so with the advice from the National Health Service

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,190 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets

OH please another Malaria thread....shoot me now :) :)

BObK

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
43,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets

Michelle

Take the advice from your Dr/Practice Nurse as they know your medical history. You can purchase Avloclor malaria tablets for £4.69 from Boots pharmacy for a box of 20.

Also check your travel insurance small print as my insurance clearly states that I am not covered for any claim in the case of my failure to obtain any recommended vaccines, inoculations or medications prior to my trip.

And yes I and my family do take the malaria tablets and have done so on all my trips to the DR as my Dr/Practice Nurse recommends taking them even though there is a low risk.

Angie.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
43,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets

Info which all UK, GP/Travel Clinics use is from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) links below. My Practice Nurse always checks the NaTHNaC website for each country I travel to.

https:/…Malaria

Angie.

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria tablets

Thanks for replying

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria tablets

Thanks for replying, we will take them as advised- was just concerned they will make me feel ill but guess I will just have to live with it . Thanks all

Llantwit Major...
Level Contributor
111 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria tablets

We have taken Avloclor on both our trips to the DR, and am glad to say never felt any side effects or sickness when taking them.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
674 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria tablets

They don't taste very nice. Best to take them with juice rather than water but We had no side effects whatsoever. People who live there don't take them because they are not recommended for long term use but for a 2-3 week holiday I would rather be safe than sorry & take them.

Reply to: Malaria tablets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted