We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton

Long Island
Level Contributor
105 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton

We are 2 adults and would like adults only section with rooms close to the beach or with ocean views. Majestic colonial has colonial club ocean view and ocean front, excellence el carmen has club ocean view, hideaway has diamond club ocean view. If there is construction at the royalton we will not go there. They are all about $2500 for 2 when we want to go. Which is the best option or any other resorts you can suggest. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton

Would not go to a new resort until it has been open at least six moths upon being completed. Would chose EEC [ that is a great price for the room type you got ] over the MC.

Long Island
Level Contributor
105 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton

If you had to pick Excellence El Carmen or Excellence Punta Cana which is better? They are about the same price for similar rooms Club level Ocean View.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton

Personally I think your best bet would be Majestic. 2 questions you have to ask yourself is how much time do you plan on spending in the room. Because when it comes to "Oceanview" the room could be a distance from the beach but high up enough overlooking the resort and an oceanview. Even if you have a 90% view of the resort and a 10% view of the ocean that's still "Oceanview" The 2nd is do you want white sand on your feet or brown?

The price for EEC you got is a great price. I loved the older Excellence resorts. The newer resorts like EEC that they've built I'm not a fan of. To me it seems that they've gone to a more personalized vacation resort with a ton of swim-ups and a small main pool. We prefer a larger pool with activities like the older Excellence's and Secrets. AO's. EEC is in Uvero Alto which are brown sand beachs Or as one of the advertisements read "Golden Sand" Its not the same as the white sand aquamarine water of Bavaro.

Royalton The Hideaway and the Diamond club club is like a double upgrade in price. and like EEC they do play name games with oceanview rooms. The big extra's offered here to me is private beach area (No getting up too early for a spot) Private pool wit bar and the preferred reservations at the a la cartes. and maybe they offer a different breakfast other then buffet. Butler service other then making reservations for dinner thats about it and I still have to tip him at the end of the week.

Majestic Colonial colonial club you have either private pools or the huge main pool and a sectioned off section of beach with club bars and lounge on a nice section of Bavaro beach. Maybe the international liquor selection might not be what it is at EEC but I'd take the big pools and nicer beach over liquor selection every day.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,365 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton

I would choose either Excellence over the others in your list, and EPC would be my choice. I'm a huge fan. EEC is too modern for my taste, and I don't like the layout, although the Club Ocean View rooms are in a nice spot. At EPC, the lobby, theater, restaurants, etc. are close to the beach, with the room buildings spread out along the beach (for the most part) on either side. Possibly more beach frontage per guest than any resort in the region. The lobby area is open air.

There are three pools at EPC. The non-Club pool is like a river, running for about 1000 feet along the beach. One of the Club pools is by the beach (it's brand new), and one (the cascade pool) is set back. EEC has a bunch of small pools - 20 or so. EPC has a more tropical style / vibe (tropical colonial). When I'm in the Caribbean, I like to feel like I'm in the Caribbean.

EEC is newer, but EPC just reponed this week after $45 million in renovations. Rooms, restaurants, etc. have been updated, and are more modern now, but the exterior appears to have retained that tropical style.

The rooms at EEC are larger than at EPC.

Mark

Long Island
Level Contributor
105 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton

Thanks for your responses. The last time we were in DR we stayed at the Paradisus Punta Cana in an ocean front room and loved the white sands of Bavaro Beach. Right now im leaning towards the Majestic Colonial or Excellence Punta Cana. At Majestic I can get an ocean Front Colonial Club room for a little more than ocean View. Is that worth it? We like a big pool rather than lots of small ones. The liquor really doesnt matter to us we arent drinkers.

How is the beach at the hideaway royalton?

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton

Club room is the way to go .

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,365 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton

Actually, Paradisus Punta Cana isn't on Bavaro Beach. That's a bit further south. The surf at both Majestic and Excellence Punta Cana will likely be more vigorous than at Paradisus - particularly at Excellence. I like the waves - I love the sound. Excellence has the least crowded, least busy beach (no neighboring resorts for a mile or so).

One nice thing at both Majestic and Excellence is no reservations for dinner - unlike at Paradisus. Excellence has the most restaurant options - 10 restaurants, and a sports bar. Majestic has 6 restaurants, plus a sports bar. The restaurants, lobby, etc. at Majestic are not adult only. Everything at Excellence is adult only. Excellence does not have a buffet for dinner (only for breakfast and lunch) - except on some theme nights.

Excellence doesn't have any butlers - just lots of concierge staff, including some dedicated to Club.

Mark

Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton

There is a big difference between oceanfront and oceanview is the price. But with Oceanfront you will get what your paying for and that is usually the best location in the resort period. The flip side is you keep bumping up the price. Is it worth it ? The question remains how much time do you plan on spending in the room?

When it comes to EPC great place. When it comes to talking to the wife and the conversation comes up about PC she always mentions about EPC. The major problem I have with EPC is the time we go the surf is so rough you can't swim in the ocean there.

Since you budget includes EPC and or upgrades at the others. I'll also suggest Secrets Cap Cana. White sand calm waters unique ocean area, and all the same stuff as excellence and its only been open one a year. So everything is new. My review of the place is also there from last March. My wife is pushing really hard to go back there in 2018 as well.

Read the post titled "New Port for Cruise Ship" in this forum my post describing the area reply 23 describes the beach there to a tee.

Instead of upgrades why don't you just upgrade the entire resort. See reviews and pictures of Secrets Cap Cana you might be able to upgrade to a nicer room if the $$ is within your budget.

Reply to: majestic colonial/excellence el carmen/hideaway royalton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted