We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadians need a passport???

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Canadians need a passport???

My sister is headed to Punta Cana on April 1st, and has just realized that hers is expired ( last month !!!) Of course now she is frantic!! I'm hoping that somebody can help me out, I can't take her craziness anymore!!! Thanks........Kim

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadians need a passport???

if she is on a direct flight to punta cana, she doesn't need a passport. she can use photo id & birth certificate... they do recommend passports just to simplify things and avoid any problems (ie passports can be replaced while away and birth certificates can not).

so that being said, you and your sister can get some good night's sleep! lol

if you require more info or need to be sure, you can always call your travel agent or the airline and they will tell you exactly what you need.

Eastern Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadians need a passport???

Kim, I am a travel agent, and no you do not neeeeeeed a passport to enter into Dominican Republic as a Canadian. You need to have a valid birth certificate and drivers license with photo on it.

Regarding the last thread about connecting flights, that is not totally true. You can take a connecting flight within Canada, but if you touch down in the USA you probably will require a passport...... I would have to check the rule to be 100% because to enter the USA by air you need a valid passport but the rules could be different for "transiting/connecting" passengers. Best advice, if you are connecting in the USA you better find out. If you are flying from Toronto direct, don't worry.

Having said that, the way the world is today, I tell ALL of my clients that are travelling outside of Canada to get their passport.

dhn
Toronto
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadians need a passport???

It would appear the big delay time for getting a Canadian passport is gone -- judging from my experience, anyway. I took my documents to the passport office in Toronto on Mar 7th. The Passport web site was showing times of upto 45 days at that time; however, the people at the office said I should get it in 3-4 weeks. In fact, it arrived my mail 2 weeks and 1 day later. No expedited service.

I guess the March break crunch is over.

Eastern Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadians need a passport???

That isn't the same for all regions unfortunately. In NB it is still taking up to 10 weeks...... ugggghhhh

Port Alberni, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadians need a passport???

if you touch down in the us ,it is only if you go out of the secured area do you need a passport.if it is day layover get passport,if three or four hour layover ,go to restuarant have a could one.

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadians need a passport???

Thank you to all who replied and helped out!!! What a relief!!!

I'm helping with her kids while she's gone, and trust me, she NEEDS and deserves this vacation, more than anybody I know!!! They've had an extremely rough 4 years. I think I was able to talk her down from the ledge!!! Thanks again, I knew somebody on this forum would be willing to help. Everything is soooo last minute, but certainly worth it.........Kim

Oh, it is a direct flight, so that's a good thing too!!

7. Re: Canadians need a passport???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 28, 2009