We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets

Alnwick, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
21 reviews
Malaria tablets

Do you really have to take Malaria tablets as my doctor told me I don't need to take them but my insurance company says I have to take them.

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,899 posts
186 reviews
1. Re: Malaria tablets

As you doctor said, it is medically alright not to take them but if you want to get paid by your insurance company, you have to take them.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
700 posts
133 reviews
2. Re: Malaria tablets

Our practice nurse told us to take them so if we didn't it would invalidate our insurance. They were really cheap from Boots & we had no side effects whatsoever. We will get them again for next year to be on the safe side.

Alnwick, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Malaria tablets

I have started to take them today bit the taste is not nice, I got mine at boots too as my sister gets a discount on them, but I don't think, my 12 year old nephew is going to be able to stomach them.

4 posts
4. Re: Malaria tablets

why would you need malaria tablets?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Malaria tablets

I’m going on friday, but I’m taking them, better to be safe than sorry, it’s only one tablet so might aswell

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
43,990 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Malaria tablets

Took my weekly dose of 2 Avloclor yesterday, my GP/Practice nurse recommends and have been doing so on all my trips to the DR for the last 16 years and will continue to, on any other future trips as per my Travel Insurance requirements.

Angie

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,899 posts
186 reviews
7. Re: Malaria tablets

We never take them but if insurance requires it we would.

cardiff wales
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Malaria tablets

Hi Angie,

Have taken Alvicor each time I visit Domincan Republic.

However they are really gross, do you have any advice on making it more bearable.

Just the thought of it makes me feel ill.

We next visit Jan 2018.

Thank you

Shelagh

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
43,990 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Malaria tablets

Shelagh,

I always take a large sip of squash or lemonade holding liquid in my mouth , pop the tablet in my mouth, swallow followed by another good drink to wash away the taste. Repeat with 2nd tablet, seems to work well for me....lol

Angie

Derby
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Malaria tablets

I've got mine ready for a couple of weeks time I thought he said 1 a week?? Wonder if I got it wrong wouldn't suprise me