We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chloroquine Shortage in NS

Halifax,NS,Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Chloroquine Shortage in NS

Not sure if anyone can help me out!

I have tried lots of pharmacies here in Nova Scotia and most have cholorquine on back order till May.

Has anyone found it lately in Nova Scotia, if so where?

If not chloroquine what is the next best thing??

NB Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chloroquine Shortage in NS

same problem here in New Brunswick. I've been to 3 different pharmacies and they all say the same thing. My question is... if the pharmacies don't have ... will the hospitals have it to treat if by chance we come down with Malaria while away.

One pharmacisist did tell me that our doctor can prescribe Larium or Mefloquine supposedly these are the same . The other one we could get a prescription for was Malarone.

Looks like I'll be trying to get an appointment with my doctor.

Hope this helps allicat.

later

budfan

london, uk
Level Contributor
418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chloroquine Shortage in NS

why is chloriquine so hard to get in canada, seems a few people have trouble finding it, its so easy here in london, i dont understand, theres far more travellers from canada that visit the DR, is this why?

Far From Nutjobs
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chloroquine Shortage in NS

Hi allicat, got he following info for you from the CDC website:

Note: In malaria-risk areas where chloroquine is the recommended drug but chloroquine cannot be taken, atovaquone/proguanil, doxycycline, mefloquine, or primaquine can be used as your antimalarial drug.

Hope it can help you....................Mish

Sault Ste Marie, ON
Level Contributor
502 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chloroquine Shortage in NS

Hi---I found chloroquine at a small out of the way pharmacy...no one else in town (here in Ontario) had any, Shoppers was completely out, Walmart had a couple pills...I would call around the "mom & pop" type places in outlying areas... good luck, it's out everywhere. There are other meds you can take, get an Rx filled for 1 of those while you're hunting. Good luck!!!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chloroquine Shortage in NS

I got mine...and my mom did. My stepfather got some other type. And my friend got some type of antimalaria meds. My stepfathers type is called Mefloquine

We got ours in Amherst...kinda far away from Halifax though

Fredericton
Level Contributor
39 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chloroquine Shortage in NS

Hi allicat . we found our,s at a zellars pharmacie in our hometown of fredericton.nb. Try walmart or zellars they seemed to have plenty.hope this helps

NB Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chloroquine Shortage in NS

cube

when did you purchase these at zellers? If it was in the last two days I am heading there first thing in the morning!!

Thanks for the help

budfan

Fredericton
Level Contributor
39 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chloroquine Shortage in NS

HI We started the stuff last thursday. You take it <for us>last thursday and once down there and 4 times when we get back.You can alway,s call zellers

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chloroquine Shortage in NS

Hey Allicat,

I posted a reply earlier (or thought I did) but it hasn't shown up, so I'll try again - and sorry if I double-post.

As of late last week, you could find Aralen (the brand-name chloroquine) at Shoppers on Quinpool Road & on Bedford Hwy at Hammonds Plains (across from Bedford Sobeys). Don't know if that's still true, as I'm taking Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine). That one's readily available, and is supposed to decrease photosensitivity as well.

I'd be worried about mefloquine and doxycyline as they both are said to increase your photosentivity. And where do you want to be in the DR if not in the sun :-)

Good luck...

Lisa

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chloroquine Shortage in NS

Hey allicat,

I picked up the telephone book & started calling around & found it my 4th call. On the 25th of march I found it at SDM Quinpool Road.

Not sure if they have any left, but pick up the telephone book!

So start calling, don't foeget the pharmasaves at the hospitals, try & call the least busy & out of the way pharmacy's!

We leave Sat, when do you leave?

Good luck & have a great trip!