We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria in the Dominican not a Hoax

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
719 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria in the Dominican not a Hoax

This story headlined in our morning paper about Puerto Plata vacation gone wrong. Not that I want to scare anyone as I am heading to Punta Cana myself in two weeks.

SJ Telegraph-Journal | Greater Saint John

As published on page A5 on April 1, 2005

TRAVEL

Holiday turns hazardous

Saint John vacationers get malaria during visit to Dominican Republic

(Submitted photo)

Glenn McGinley, back left, with some of his group of 16 Saint Johners who fell ill during a trip to the Dominican Republic last month. Three have been told they have malaria.

BY MAC TRUEMAN

Telegraph-Journal

Three Saint John-area residents have returned from a March break in the Dominican Republic to be told they have malaria.

"The vacation from hell" is how Glenn McGinley, of Quispamsis, describes the one-week trip that he and 15 other friends and family took to a resort in Puerto Plata, on the northern coast of the island, which they started March 4.

All 16 fell ill at some or other time that week with Norwalk-like diarrhea and vomiting.

He said that had Health Canada posted any malaria warning about the north-coast area, he and his group would have gone somewhere else, but there was none.

The page, at phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/… did warn Thursday about malaria in two east-coast areas. And it advised travellers to all parts of the Dominican Republic not to visit rural areas at night.

His wife, Mary-Beth McGinley, spends her nights in violent shivers while sweating profusely, he said.

"It's like something you would see in an old Vietnam War movie. It's scary. It was eight hours of that last evening."

Ms. McGinley said she got the news Wednesday from a doctor at Saint John Regional Hospital.

"She said, 'I have bad news. You have malaria.' "

She said the physician told her that a further six or seven Saint Johners had also been diagnosed with malaria this week after vacationing in the Dominican Republic.

"The public health nurse that I spoke to yesterday couldn't believe how many cases are popping up here in Saint John," the husband said.

But they have been given no further details about what strain of malaria this is.

Provincial Health and Wellness officials are treating these as suspected malaria cases while they wait for definitive blood-test results to come back from an Ontario laboratory.

The same with federal Health Canada staff, who say that to date there has been no evidence of a malaria outbreak at Puerto Plata. But department spokeswoman Aggie Adamczyk a warning may go up if the Saint John cases are confirmed.

Provincial health spokeswoman Krista Petersen emphasized in an interview Thursday that if this is malaria, it's not contagious without the presence of certain tropical breeds of mosquitoes.

"It's not like you have the flu and you might give it to your dad."

Mr. McGinley said the first of his party to be diagnosed with malaria at the Saint John Regional Hospital this week was his sister, who had been suffering with intestinal problems and headaches.

"Everybody passed it off as the flu. Then she got it so bad, she had to go to the hospital. She mentioned that she had visited the Dominican Republic two and a half weeks ago, and they automatically gave her the blood test for malaria. She tested positive."

The most recent diagnosis was the sister's boyfriend, "who received the news just minutes ago that he tested positive," Mr. McGinley said Thursday.

Mr. McGinley said he heard a report that there was a Norwalk-like illness in the area, but his travel agent told him on the day before his trip that there were no health threats in Puerto Plata.

But within two days of getting this reassurance, his group was vomiting, and so was a second group of 18 Saint Johners who flew down there on the same one-week package.

"There was a woman four or five months pregnant, who had to be wheeled to the plane in a wheelchair," Mr. McGinley said.

Far From Nutjobs
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria in the Dominican not a Hoax

Hi Debbie,

Although this "is" a scary story, I'm glad I read it. I think it's good to be aware of these isolated incidents and I will be taking the chloroquine.

Mish

Toronto
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria in the Dominican not a Hoax

This is getting so confusing....Is it Malaria or not?? It is not contageous why are people travelling together getting it?? Do we take the meds or not??? We are leaving 3 weeks from tomorrow to Punta Cana and just this week I was told by the travel clinic that the meds were not necessary...Maybe I just shouldn't read the forums anymore and then I would be more at peace with my choice. Any opinions???

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria in the Dominican not a Hoax

Here are my 2 cents for what its worth. I decided long ago not to take the meds....However.....after reading the numerous posts, I started to get freaked out. At the last minute, my hubby and I decided to take Chloroquine. We leave for Punta Cana tomorrow morning : ) We took our first dose on Easter Sunday and no side effects other than a little bit of difficulty sleeping that night. We'll take our next dose this coming Sunday. Here's my point, we didn't have any side effects from the meds, I'm no longer freaked out about getting malaria and I feel like we can just go on vay-cay and have one less thing to worry about. It's a personal decision based on your comfort level.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria in the Dominican not a Hoax

Question: Has anyone drank on the SAME day that you took a Chloroquine pill?

I know that many have said they are fine drinking and taking the pills, but wanted to see if anyone had done it on the day they actually took the pill.

I am starting a new job and work is throwing me a going away happy hour on April 7, which is also the day I am scheduled to take my first Chloroquine dose. Wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any problems.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria in the Dominican not a Hoax

Dranks lots of wine the day we took our first dose. Actually, the sleeping problem may have been related more to the wine than the chloroquine. Believe me, I definitely checked with the doc to make sure it would be ok to drink and she said it would be fine.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria in the Dominican not a Hoax

Atlanta - I washed my Chloroquine down with a Gin and Tonic!

No problems

Canada
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria in the Dominican not a Hoax

This is just more confusing - I thought the 3 infected types had been at Ocean Blue in Punta Cana - why does this article go on about Puerto Plata and also the Norwalk virus. I would wait for a definitive statment from Health Canada before I get too excited about this!