We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much time in the sun w/out looking like a Lobster?!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, ill
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
How Much time in the sun w/out looking like a Lobster?!

Heading to PC in 2 weeks w/ my 3 year old sun. I really would like to know what is the maximum time to be in the sun w/out damaging your skin. Also what kind of SPF or lotion brand works best on kids? PLEASE HELP!!!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much time in the sun w/out looking like a Lobster?!

I would be very careful about sun exposure with a youngster. It's not necessarily just his burning/not burning that's a factor, but also heat exhaustion. An SPF of 30 to 45 for kids with UVA/UVB protection is important, and be careful to reapply fairly frequently. Also, a hat is very important... Oh, and drink lots of water...

Good luck and have fun!

belfast
Level Contributor
302 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much time in the sun w/out looking like a Lobster?!

Hi Homer and Scarlet

Im sure you and your son will have a great time. We were in DR for 10 days at beginning of february and got badly burnt, even tho using high factor sunscreen (25 the whole time)

i was surprised how hot it was, and you can definately get burnt on cloudy days.

The day we got our crispy skin was not the hottest, (and it was about our 4 th day in to the holiday) but we were at the beach, and we reckon cos we were in the water, even tho we kept applying suncreen, the water is the place to get burnt. We actually only stayed at the beach from 10.30am til about 1pm, and we didnt go out again that day, so i would recommend to be very very careful with your son.

I have a 3 year old daughter and she has better skin than me (little bit of meditteranean in her genes) but i NEVER let her out in the skin without sunblock (factor 35 plus) hat, tee shirt and although its hard, try to keep her playing under the parasol.

ps, me and my partner are not really really fair skinnned, so i think anyone can get burnt. I reckon we should have had sunBLOCK on.

A good one to get is called (something like) NO-AD , big blue bottle, yellow lid, its factor forty and it was really inexpensive. I got it in Target. I would recommend that

Have a smashin time

Lesley

Atlanta
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much time in the sun w/out looking like a Lobster?!

I definitely don't recommend NO-AD. I think it is one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of products. I remember using it several years ago while tubing down a river and getting burned badly...who knows...they may have improved it though. I read on previous posts that a water-proof AND sweat-proof is the best.

Far From Nutjobs
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much time in the sun w/out looking like a Lobster?!

Hi homerandscarlet,

The water/sweat proof is the best idea since you should also need to put on some insect repellant w/Deet for the DR. This way it still remains on while using the repellant. When looking for the water/sweat proof also look for the highest SPF. I will be on the look out this weekend, myself, for my 5 yr. old. I'm finally starting to pack. woohoo!!!!:0)

belfast
Level Contributor
302 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Much time in the sun w/out looking like a Lobster?!

ATLANTABEACHLOVER

i didnt take NO-AD with me to DR, and i should have.

i assumed that in february, it wouldnt be as hot as mid summer and i just used factor 25.

remember homer and scarlet, for kids you dont need to pay extra for a 40 or 50 sunblock - ur doctor or pharmacist will tell you that anything over 35 is all the same. if it says sunblock, it means sunBLOCK .... just keep putting it on, especially when in water

chicago, ill
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How Much time in the sun w/out looking like a Lobster?!

Wow thank you all for the great tips and info. Both my son and I have fair skin (my hubby does'nt burn that easily). But having burt VERY badly in the sun myself, I don't want the same thing to happen to my son. It is VERY VERY painful and puts you in a bad mood. I will definitly do everything to protect him from the sun, even on cloudy days.

Thanks Again

Party of three :)

ladysmith canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How Much time in the sun w/out looking like a Lobster?!

i got a few bottles i got spf 45 for the first few days and then spf 30 for the next week and also spf 30 waterproof for beach and pool. last few days i threw in an spf 15 for good measure i covered

New York
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How Much time in the sun w/out looking like a Lobster?!

Our family is fair skinned. We started with 45 on. My youngest (8) still was brunt on cheeks right under eyes and tops of ears. Figure it was from water reflecting sun. We continued with 45 for 3 days. Then went to 30 on tanning areas and 15 on last few days. Just remember apply frequently and bring extra. We were forced to buy an extra bottle of 45 during trip and it cost $35 American!