We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach volleyball

Saint Paul...
3 posts
Save Topic
Beach volleyball

Hi friends,

My volleyball friends and I are traveling to Punta Cana in a couple weeks and we would like to know the best beaches to play at. We will be staying at the Majestic in the resort area. By "best beaches to play at" we mean, the nets are great, there are lines (2s or 4s is fine) and the competition is good. We are all A division players, there's maybe one open player with us.

Thanks for your input!

14 replies to this topic
Canton, Michigan...
Level Contributor
288 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach volleyball

I would like to know the answer to this one as well. Other than the nets at your hotel, I'm not aware of any other places to play.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach volleyball

i would say most people are just in it for the fun.. drinks and getting drunk LOL

Taking part is all that counts :)

j

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach volleyball

And kids and anyone just looking to have fun. Most matches are not of high caliber. just fun

Canton, Michigan...
Level Contributor
288 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach volleyball

It sounds like the OP was looking for an alternative to your typical DR prison rules resort game. Some of us don't enjoy having broken ankles, etc., because rules aren't being followed, the net being used as a prop, etc.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach volleyball

I would say that the calibre is rarely very high and of course depends on who is at your resort while you are there. We did have some very competitive matches with the entertainment crew and some high caliber players last year at CHIC. Was a lot of fun. But of course, don't expect this to happen very often. Also, volleyball on the beach in PC is about a net, a ball, sand and drinks. Still pretty nice.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach volleyball

I agree, it really depends on who is at the resort at the time. If you want a highly competitive match you could mention to the animation crew and they may try to set it up for you since they will know who the skilled players are.

Kirkland, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach volleyball

Going to Punta Cana (Ocean Blue & Sand Beach Resort) at Dec 23rd-30th 2017.

It looks by photos that there is some court in hotel, so hope to meet some competitive players. Also will look to other hotels around (looks like Iberstar also has a court).

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach volleyball

Hi,

At most resorts there are two organized matches a day (morning and afternoon)

The animation team walks around to hustle players, the level of the game can vary day to day.

Sometimes kids join and sometimes people get dragged into the game even though they really can’t play or are too drunk to play.

Then you get the people who think they can play and they go after every single ball, and end up breaking your hand (happened to me, huge guy came storming in all the way from the back to ‘smash’ a ball that was so low it could never have went over the net and ended up smashing my hand, breaking it in two places).

So…

If you are with a group big enough to organize your own games just wait until the game is done, ask for the ball (or bring your own) and have your own game.

You have to be a bit rude and exclude the people you don’t want to join and just refer them to the official animation team schedule that indicates when matches are being held by the resort.

There are no resorts that are known for their higher level of Volleyball games, you just have to be lucky that whilst you are there there are a few good players about.

Amy

Northern NB
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach volleyball

fyi - I play volley ball every day while on vacation.. and most of the time I will bring my volleyball to play when I want .... the only way you'll have the court to yourself is to play with your ball and 2 on 2...

if you try 3-3 or 4-4 some other player will want to join, and most of them will not be able to receive or pass a ball !

Good Luck...

Kirkland, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach volleyball

yeah, definitely not looking for some "hour activity on the sand with the ball" which can be organized by animators (though read some comments that some animators can play on a good level), especially since it can be dangerous for opponents (if they don't have at least basic skills to protect head from concussion :)

so would bring my ball and hope that my luck will bring 3 more people who knows what to do with the ball :)

Reply to: Beach volleyball
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted