We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Did anyone else get the prescription of Doxycycline Hyclate (DH) when they went to the doctor for malaria meds? I had heard of Malarone or Chloroquine and had expected that but my doctor said that the mosquitos become resistant to medications that are used alot.

DH is an antibiotic and is also suppose to work against travelers diahrea. I don't know. I hope my doctor knows what he is talking about. I also got Hep A & B vaccine and a tetanus shot. I'm not normally the cautious type but after reading all the postings, I started to get worried. I decided better safe than sorry.

Can't wait until 4/15.

atlanta
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

AtlantaBeachLover:

That will work out great then. I will get the doctor to give me a prescription for Chloroquine but not get it filled until I have taken the HC for several days to see how it goes. I plan on wearing lots of sunscreen anyway as my skin is already damaged from to many years of tanning. I just get blotchey looking from the sun anyway.

It will be my husband and I going to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. We are both 43 (as of today) so probably closer to your mother's age. To bad our kids aren't coming. They are 21 & 23. Does your mom or you like to go for bike rides? My husband will be content to sit and drink all day but I like to do some kind of activities in the morning. My daughter and I went to Cozymel last year and had a blast together.

We will be staying for a week. Let me know if you want to meet up for a drink, bike ride or shopping.

Where in Atlanta do you live? We live in Alpharetta.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Tootsie -

I live in Midtown and my mom actually lives in Huntsville, AL. I have lived in Atlanta for a little over 2 yrs now and took my first trip up to Alpharetta last week. I loved it up there!! It would be quite a commute though since I work in Midtown also. I am looking to move out of Midtown soon though and get more into the suburbs (maybe Dunwoody/Sandy Springs/Vinings).

We would love to meet up with you guys! When you get a chance email me at melissahopper@msn.com and we can figure out a good meeting place/time if you want to meet up somewhere.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Hey tootsie!

LOL! Thought that would hit the spot! LMAO! Chloroquine in one of the ones you take weekly & the side effects are minimal. But NO YEAST infections. So at least I can have sux, drink alcohol, eat cause has to be taken of a full stomach, go in the sun a little more than you, and lay down afterwards.

Personally I have done research on these drugs and to me this one is one of the better ones to take.

Nedd4sun:

All the info on anti-malarial drugs can be found on:

www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm

They list all the side effects, the procedure for taking them and what drugs are best for what areas. It is quite imformative.

Dig around in there & you'll be surprized on what you find out!

Be safe & have a great trip!

Fredericton
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Hi we too got the chloroquine today in fredericton, nb .The price is 7 dollars total.And hope I don,t go nut,s lol.yea baby 8 day,s and counting.The doc said very little chance of side effects,she said Id most likely be sick from the hangover,but Ive got pure oxygen for that if need be.anyway everyone have a great trip. cube

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Hey tootsie,

We too are celebrating an Anniversary 31 years! Where are you headed for, what resort?

We'll be Allegro on april 9-16th/

Congrats! As there are not too many of us that pass the 20 year mark anymore!

atlanta
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

SillyJilly:

Congratulations!! 31 years is quite an accomplishment these days. We are going April 15th to the 22nd and will be staying at Ocean Blue. I don't know how far that is from Allegro.

I hope you have a great time.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

No idea either! Too bad. What time do you arrive on the 15th?