We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Did anyone else get the prescription of Doxycycline Hyclate (DH) when they went to the doctor for malaria meds? I had heard of Malarone or Chloroquine and had expected that but my doctor said that the mosquitos become resistant to medications that are used alot.

DH is an antibiotic and is also suppose to work against travelers diahrea. I don't know. I hope my doctor knows what he is talking about. I also got Hep A & B vaccine and a tetanus shot. I'm not normally the cautious type but after reading all the postings, I started to get worried. I decided better safe than sorry.

Can't wait until 4/15.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

sorry, I'm not sure about that one, I got the chloroquine for me and my family.

mo
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Igot the chloroquine for me and my wife. what resort are you going to visit? we are going to secrets.... if you are going to secrets will you write me and let me know about your experience? thanks.

mikkni65@aol.com

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

That is the one you take daily and it has an antibiotic in it.

1) you sunburn really easy use a high sunblock while in the sun

it saya to avoid midday sun.

2) wear long sleeve shirts, long pants & a hat.

3) may cause nausea & stomach pain. Take on full stomach with a full glass of liquid.

4) do not lie down for 1 hour after taking to prevent reflux of the drug (backing up into the esophagus)

5) Women may develope a vaginal yeast infection, treat with over the counter yeast med if itching or vaginal discharge.

6) Not for pregnant women, or children under 8 years old.

7) Do not take if have allergies to doxycycline or other tetracyclines.

8) Do not consume alcohol while taking this drug.

Wouldn't be my drug of choice, as this is rather hard on your

system.

Run it on Rxlist site!

In short, no sux due to yeast infection, cannot lay down, stay out of sun & cannot consume alcohol. LOL! why are you paying for an all inclusive? lol!

Have a great trip!

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

BTW: we got the chloroquine as well.

Happy travels!

atlanta
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

rforc1 - sorry we are going to Ocean Blue.

SillyJilly - you are right about those side effects. I figured the side effects for the Chloroquine were probably just as bad but maybe I should call my doctor back. I specifically asked for Chloroquine but maybe my doctor doesn't like his patients telling him what they need. It is only 100 mg dose though so maybe I won't have any side effects. Shoot, I already got the prescription too. I'm not about to go without sun, sx or drinks for a week and while I'm on vacation to boot. I plan on drinking my money's worth.

I am suppose to start taking it 2 weeks prior so if I have problems I'll just pitch the meds and take my chances. Mosquitoes always love me though.

Brampton, Ontario
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

We are going to Bahia Principe Punta Cana and both me and my husband are taking Malarone.

SILLYJILLY....Where did you get that info on the med's? I like to check out what they say about Malarone. I have a booklet on it that my doctor gave me but I like to know more.

Thanks

Atlanta
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Tootsie -

We are going to Ocean Blue (from Atlanta) April 14-April 19. Good to see a fellow Atlantan will be there also!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

One more thing, Tootsie...my doctor gave me Chloroquine. He originally was going to prescribe Malarone, but I requested Chloroquine based on what I saw on the CDC website. According to the CDC, chloroquine is still effective in Punta Cana, as the moquitos have not yet built a tolerance to this medicine. I got the Hep A vaccine and tetanus shot too. My doctor also gave me a prescription of Bactrim for traveler's diarhea to take if needed but did mention the increased sensitivity to sunlight.

Why don't you give you doctor a call and see if he/she will call in a prescription for Chloroquine? Just tell you doctor from what you read on CDC website (www.cdc.gov/travel/other/malaria_dr_2004.htm) that you would feel more comfortable with that medicine. Then you can take full advantage of the sun and drinks and still feel safe.

atlanta
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

AtlantaBeachLover: I think I will give him a call. The additional $20 for a new prescription will probably be worth it. How far in advance do you need to start taking the Chloroquine?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Did Anyone's Dr give the Malaria Prescription - Doxycycline...

Tootsie -

You take one pill one week prior to leaving and then one pill the day you leave and one pill once a week for several weeks after (can't remember how many weeks after, but I am thinking like 4 weeks...because you end up taking around 6-7 pills, I believe. So for example, I leave April 14, so I will take 1 pill on April 7, 1 pill on April 14, and 1 pill each week for several weeks after that.

You may hear some mention that you begin taking a pill 2 weeks prior to leaving; however, both my doctor and the CDC website state that you take 1 pill one week before leaving.

How long are you guys staying at Ocean Blue for? How many of you are coming? It is my mom and I (I'm 24) that are going from Atlanta April 14-19. Maybe we will run into you guys!