We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Majestic, Excellence, Sunscape or Bahia Pricipe?????????

Suffolk
Level Contributor
298 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Majestic, Excellence, Sunscape or Bahia Pricipe?????????

HELP! I don't know which too choose!!

We are a couple in our 30's and don't mind a few kids about but not really up for a full on family resort - i.e. lots of the little loves!!

Definitely want to have good beach, decent gym (other half), activities going on (but a choice not in your face type), water based and land based and of course decent food.

The rooms at Excellence and Majestic look great but the relaxed atmosphere of sunscape is appealing, we like to clean up of an evening but are on holiday and can't be doing with glad rags every night!

Then I foolishly read reviews of the BP and confuse myself more.

Never been to DR before (but been to lots of other islands)

Pets

All help/comments much appreciated

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Majestic, Excellence, Sunscape or Bahia Pricipe?????????

Pets75

We've been to Sunscape and Majestic...depends what you want.

Rooms were nice at both, larger at Majestic, we were in 1347(1= building 1, 2= second floor, 47= room 47) room had partial ocean view. Food was a little better at Majestic but I would not base my decision on this alone. The beach was great here lots recliner chairs and lots of palm trees. Restraunts were good and the buffet was good also. (never got sick)

Sunscape about the same size and layout but rooms are smaller

(but we don't go for the rooms) Beach was great, you can walk for miles before you reach the next resort.

Bottom line if you want seclusion go for Sunscape if you must have 5* then go for Majestic you will be happy with either and if you still can't decide go for the cheeper rate.

We going back to Sunscape in May for 2 weeks, wife likes the seclusion, I like 5*, have to keep the wife happy :)

If you have other questions send email to:

wolf3511@mac.com

Wolf 351

Suffolk
Level Contributor
298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Majestic, Excellence, Sunscape or Bahia Pricipe?????????

Oh gosh I still am in a dither and trying to decide!!!

but THANK YOU all so much I think it is now between Sunscape and Majestic, Sunscape is coming in about £500 cheaper and the relaxed attitude is good but the beautiful white sands of Majestic is winning on that front.

AND

Then my agent suggests Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort and this is a WHOLE lot cheaper (almost half the price of the Majestic and almost £1,000 cheaper than Sunscape!!!)

What is a girl to do?!?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Punta...
8,257 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Majestic, Excellence, Sunscape or Bahia Pricipe?????????

Pets75

I'm with you - confused. I am going to call and get final pricing of the Iberostar Dominicana, Majestic and the Bahia. Just hung up from my agent and she does not book Majestic because she has nothing on it at all. Doesn't like to book when she hasn't seen it herself.

I'm waiting now for pricing. We right now have 14 in our group going and possibly more.

Any comments will be helpful. Just want to book as I can start dreaming.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Dominicana Hotel
Iberostar Dominicana...
8,088 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Majestic, Excellence, Sunscape or Bahia Pricipe?????????

Pets75 & Beachlover.

The Bahia is a VERY large resort and depending where your located you may have to take a shuttle to the beach. On our last return trip home (Canada) the guy beside me would never return to the Bahia as they had had the safe broken into in their room. The management did very little to help them and they had to wire home to get money to be able to get out of the country. I've have heard good things about Palladium check other reviews for assistance.

Majestic and Sunscape are listed in the top 10 for the DR. You should be able to find alot of photo's on the net of all resorts.

If you have specific questions on Sunscape or Majestic feel free to email and good luck and enjoy........

Wolf 351

wolf3511@mac.com

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Majestic, Excellence, Sunscape or Bahia Pricipe?????????

Hey Pets, IMHO, the first thing you need to understand is that PC is unlike many of the other popular Carribean islands, i.e. Jamaica, Bahamas, Cancun. How is it different.... well PC is very much a third world country and the island is not overrun yet. So, you spend the majority of your time on your resort, not walking a strip, etc. If you want a party place, PC is not it. Yes, it is fun. Yes, it has discos. But bottom line, good, bad or indifferent, it is not Jamaica or Cancun. For us, that is a good thing. We wanted a paradise beach.

Additionally, choosing a resort is a difficult decision to make. My advice, first decide what your priorities are: mammoth resort with trams, or smaller resorts with intimacy and character; beach, food, booze, party life etc. After you know what is most important to you, narrow down your choices, which you seem to have done. Read all reviews within a year...good and bad. Check out threads. I will never rely on the advice of a travel agent again...they are on the road to being obsolete. Online booking and forums are the thing of the future. Would rather hear it from fellow travelers, rather than someone who is getting a percentage of it. IMHO

Have been researching since our return from a property on the Bavaro Beach. We did not care for the resort, but fell in love with the Bavaro Beach. Hands down the most beautiful we have seen.

Like the other posters said, Sunscape and Excellence are in Uvero Alto and the water and beach are different. Sunscape is family oriented and managed by an American company, AmResorts. They cater to American and English speaking travelers. Up until the new year, Am Resorts managed Excellence. Now Excellence is being run by its owners. Excellence is the only adults only in PC. Some resorts have an adults only section, but eventually you will run into the little critters. The Excellence group is selling themselves as, "If you have a taste for luxury, romance and relaxation, then Excellence Resorts are where you belong."(Taken from an ad from local paper.)

After a great deal of time researching and a great deal of help from my fellow travelers, we are booked for the Majestic in mid April. Why...it is on Bavaro Beach. That is priority #1 for us. It is in top 10 and gets consistently good food reviews. Althought it is not adults only, it has been voted the best romance resort in the world and Carribean, by TA. It has also been voted best pool in the Carribean in TA. To avoid the critters(yes, have kids of my own), we are going wwhen there is little chance of many kids. A fellow traveler took a great deal of photos and they were helpful in making my choice. The site is www.majesticcolonial.shutterfly.com/action/

So bottom line it: all that have been posted are good. All of the posters who gave you advice are good posters who love where they go. It is up to you to decide what you want most....like a poster said...seclusion or not.

Good Luck with your decision. Any questions, my email is with my review from last year.

PRIZE with 68 days to go to the Majestic.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bavaro Beach
Bavaro Beach
17,313 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Uvero Alto
Uvero Alto
Dominican Republic
16. Re: Majestic, Excellence, Sunscape or Bahia Pricipe?????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 21, 2009