We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria

Boston
1 post
Save Topic
malaria

Any updates on the mosquitos in La Romana?

Is everyone taking medication prior to going?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria

The following is the reply I posted here a couple of days ago to a similar question:

I was at Casa Del Mar during the last week of January. I saw no mosquitos for that week. I brought my DEET which I didn't use and I wasn't bitten unaware. Was I lucky? Or was there nothing to worry about?

I opted not to take the medication before I went.

The doctor at the resort told me that he had treated 4 adults for a bunch of bites of some sort which they received on their legs while on one of the outback tours. He gave them topical cream, which wouldn't likely help against malaria!

If you don't plan to take that type of nature tour, and if you bring DEET and clothing to cover exposed skin the evenings, you may be safe in the La Romana area.

One person's opinion...

Battle Creek, MI
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria

Clay,

My doctor did recommend anti-malaria RX. Even my 4 year old is taking it. In cases like this, traveling abroad for fun, why take the chance? The cost of the RX is affordable. If one of my family members got malaria during our vacation, I would be very upset. To think it could have been avoided.

We also all have recieved our HepA vaccines per recommendation of our local health department who doles out info from the CDC. The vaccine through our doctor was around $105 per shot (2 series), but at the local health dept., only $27 (adult/per shot).

Some good friends of ours are also traveling to same location a week later and will NOT take preventative measures. Everyone has their own opinion. Call your doctor and see what he recommends.

ottawa
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria

Definitely go by your doctor or travel clinic's advice. We opted not to take it. Just remember, it is not a guarantee that you will not get malaria if you take the meds.

Chicago
Level Contributor
39 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria

We checked the CDC website and no cases of malaria have occurred in La Romana, so there is no malaria advisory for the La Romana resort area. We are bringing Deep Woods Off in case we go on any tours, but we are not taking malaria medication.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaria

ChicargoMom,

that is exactly how we feel!

Have a great trip!

maryland
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: malaria

We are going to the Iberostar in La Romana on 3/26, and I am also wondering whether or not to take malaria medication. What is the consensus? One posting said that no cases of maleria have been reported in La Romana, but the CDC site says that cases have been reported in Punta Cana, and Punta Cana is not far away from La Romana, at least as I see it on the map. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. jbrody

Whistler British...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: malaria

The best advice I recieved....

"ASK YOUR DOCTOR...not a bunch of strangers on a website."

Chicago
Level Contributor
39 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: malaria

Ultimately each traveler should educate him or herself and make their own decision. Many doctors throw drugs indiscriminately at every ailment. One site I read placed the odds of contracting malaria in La Romana at 400,000 to 1. Yet doctors, out of fear of being sued later, may prescribe malaria medicine in the face of a virtually nonexistent risk. I have taken malaria medicine in the past and it had side effects -- nausea and vomiting. We are comfortable visiting La Romana again without the medicine, but understand that wouldn't be everyone's choice.

montreal
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: malaria

I just got back from a week trip to Gran Caribe Hotel in La Romana - We have opted to take the Malaria medication, my kids (15 and 19) are still taking them for the remainder of the preventive treatment but I opted to stop... I have not seen a single mosquito in La Romana at the Gran Caribe. By the way the week was great! the hotel was excellent price/value ratio. We were a group of 8 ( 4 adults and 4 teenagers) we had a very good time.. none of us had upset stomach, tourista or anything like that.. we brought bottled waters from Canada and we stayed away from tap water (even to brush our teeth) we carried Purel (antibacterial soap - no water required) in small handy bottles and we used as often as we could. We ate almost everything - I personnally stayed away from ice cubes in my drinks - the 7 other in my group didn't bother to do that and they were fine. The food at the Italian restaurant is worthy of 5 stars... the entertainement ( we had a band from Quebec) was a delight specially the last night at the Beach Party with fire by the sea - the rooms are OVERSIZED - only thing this hotel has to change very quickly is the carpet and update the washrooms in the room... Pretty clean overall - the Belgian Chef was the reason you felt confident about cleanliness... Before every buffet or serving you could see him doing a round checking everything making remarks if need be, he made sure hands were washed, ranges and grills clean as a whistle ...and they were. I booked my trip with Go Travel Direct - The people were extremely friendly and helpful... thanks a lot to Tina our rep at the hotel she would go the extra mile for you. Zoom airlines were a pleasant surprise! Nice big planes, good services and ON TIME!!! to the minute, we even left La Romana on our way back 10 minutes earlier. Go Travel were organized with buses and stuff on the way back. One glitch though... we were told that for $25 extra per person we would be upgraded to first class and get free drinks... well the upgrade was good but we had to pay for our drinks - we were told it were misinformed. Attention: Zoom airlines are subcontracted by Go Travel so make sure the information you are getting is from each source, they do not follow each others rule...

Get answers to your questions about La Romana