We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Bahia Principe

5 posts
Save Topic
Grand Bahia Principe

Hi, first time going to the D.R.

Any advice? Must haves to bring?

What are the Al la cartes like?

Super nervous about the 4 hr plane ride from NY!

Thanks in advance to anyone that can chime in :)

Liz

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Bahia Principe

Which GBP Resort? the La Romana or the Bouganville?

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Bahia Principe

La romana :)

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Bahia Principe

Can not comment on your plane ride,,, ours is more than that from Toronto, but we are seasoned travellers and have no worries.

We stayed at the Bouganville side, but did take a few walks around the La Romana side. We found our buffet to be better than the a la carte restaurants, but did enjoy the atmosphere of the BBQ on the beach on Saturday evening. It was worth it. They say the Gourmet is good, but we checked the menu and didn't find anything to our liking to cancelled our reservation for that one.

Take lots of sunscreen, it is very expensive there, as is anything you might forget to take.

the complex is not near anything so you have to pack enough to be self sufficient. If you are staying in the Royal Golden area you'll be closer to the ocean, and have more amenities, ie coffee maker in your room, shower gel, shampoo etc.

You'll have a mini fridge in your room stocked with some water, pop and beer.

DO NOT DRINK TAP WATER. We heard that some people didn't know that.

Also the ocean is not crystal clear, it is not smelly or dirty, it is just mixed with fresh river water. There are small fish along the shore line you can see darting in the waves, they won't bother you and you may see a crab or two. They too are also afraid of you.

How long are you staying?

Must bring? bathing suit, cover up or sundress for breakfasts. something dressy casual for dinners, sunscreen with a good SPF, like 45 or 60. Sunglasses and a hat! Camera. the rest depends on how many nights you are going to be there.

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Bahia Principe

Morning folks; I'm heading there April 4th, three couples. I see they have a 9 hole executive golf course next to the resort. I believe it openned up sometime last year so I havent been able to find a lot of info about it. I emaile the resort and have recieved some info. Did you see the course, play it or have any info about it?

Thanks....Mike

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Bahia Principe

passed the course, it's a par 3, didn't play it, and didn't see anyone check in or out with clubs. They are creating a complex around it with villas and condo's for sale.

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Bahia Principe

Great info thanks! We are staying 5 nights

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Bahia Principe

thanks Ed-ma. What i recieved from the resort so far is that its $27 for 9 holes including clubs. there are no carts to rent as it is a small course and no mandatory caddy.

mike

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Bahia Principe

Enjoy your golfing and be sure to post how the course was. My hubby had thought of taking his clubs, but decided against it, Maybe next time

Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Bahia Principe

we booked the hotel Grand Bahia Principe La Romana on second week of april for 7 days. but we are flying from Ottawa to punta cana international airport.

does grand Bahia hotel has their own shuttle to pick us up from punta cana to la romana ? or we need to take taxi or other transport to hotel? please advise us because we are first time going their..

how long the ways is from airport to hotel?

i appreciate it and thankful to you,

thanks,

Triton, Canada
Level Contributor
397 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Bahia Principe

who did you book with? They usually provide transfers unless you booked flights and the resort separate. It's approx. 90 minutes from PUJ to GBP La Romana

Edited: 9:43 pm, March 23, 2014