We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unusal packing tips

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
unusal packing tips

Hi, have read similar forum posts on other sites. Does anyone have any unusual packing ideas or suggestion for unusual things to take?

For example I always pack a night light to plug in the bathroom. And we take a bungee cord to hang our beach bags up off the sand.

More tips and suggestions?

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: unusal packing tips

Thanks Peggy, great suggestions :)

I usually take our own thermos glass (not a bubba) lol Keeps our drinks cool, and are a little bigger than the usual plastic glasses, so you don't have to run back and forth to the bar. They are also covered, so no sand and bugs.

I also take my own new beach towel x2. (I hate the thought of losing theirs and having to pay 25.00) and 2 face clothes. After the week I leave all 4 for our maid then she has a nice bathroom set.

I take a little flash light for the pathways, and sometimes 60 watt light bulbs. (only if people say the lighting is dark)

I take a couple sandwich bags or larger, to put my camera or anything that could get ruined at the beach or rain. in.

I have heard that some people take an extra tshirt that they fit over the back of their lounger so no one takes the lounger. you know people will be back if they put something of their own on it instead of the hotel beach towel.

Fabric softener sheet and rub all over for an insect repellant (trying this for the first time when we go)

if it doesn't work just put a couple in your drawer, and closet will take out the musty smell the room sometimes get.

Love your ideas for people to post suggestions :) :)

Charlene

nyc
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: unusal packing tips

Clothes hanger (plastic), fabric softner sheets ,powdered detergent in a baggie, video game console,

PA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: unusal packing tips

We are planning on taking the baggies flashlight extension cord for the limited amount of wall sockets our own plastic cups with lids and wash clothes

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: unusal packing tips

all great ideas, we also take a short power bar to plug in and charge all our devices at once...

Kapitan.... you really take a video game console? That's got to be a lot of extra weight. Don't take detergent, I just use a little body wash if I have to wash out anything.

Tide pen too!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: unusal packing tips

Depending on your resort of choice the bathrooms are pretty much open air to the rest of the room. I'd bring a room spray to avoid any awkward moments. Which is actually always a good idea in any hot, humid climates. This had been mentioned before, but is important enough to warrant a second (or tenth) mentioning. :-) And we saw some people with Bubba Kegs. They quickly became the envy of our vacation. We had a lot of warm beverages we were slurping back. (but hey, first world problems, right?)

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: unusal packing tips

My packing go-tos include a travel candle (romantic AND odor destroying!) and ziploc bags.

I also bring small box in case I buy anything breakable - I just fill it with socks and undies for the tip down.

A neat tip is pack half of your stuff in your travel companion's suitcase, and vice versa, that way if one bag gets lost or delayed, you still both have clothes!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: unusal packing tips

we take travel mugs, and this year bought new ones, and they are made by Bubba. They really do make the best ones. We start by making coffee in the room in the morning and taking it in the bubba to the beach to watch the sun come up, then a quick rinse out and it's ready for cold drinks.

Instead of baggies, I have a couple of those space age bags, I just put the damp clothes in and roll it up to get the extra air out.

Other forum posters I have seen recommend taking everything from duct tape to clothes pins.... anyone?

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: unusal packing tips

I just got back from Costco. they are selling these really neat lights, you put around your neck.. A light on each end. 3 levels of brightness on each one and a red light. great for the evenings you don't have to carry a flashlight. 14.99 for 2

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: unusal packing tips

Take a photocopy of the picture page of your passport. Leave it somewhere safe, but not where your passport is, or take a picture of it on your phone. Then if your passport is lost or stolen, you'll have all the info you need for the consul to help get you home.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
578 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: unusal packing tips

Or email a copy to your own email and then if you loose absolutely everything you can still get your passport info.