We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altos de chavon

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Altos de chavon

Great info. Would you recommend just calling a taxi service from the hotel? any idea what the going rate is?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altos de chavon

It depends from where you go.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altos de chavon

We will be staying at bahia principe

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altos de chavon

GBP is about 35 - 40 minutes from Altos de Chavon, my guess is it would cost around 100 USD return trip for up to 5 people (not sure you would have to double check with the taxi at the resort). Don't forget, you have to go through Casa de Campo to get to Altos de Chavón and there is a charge 25 USD per person to enter, plus between 3 - 5 USD per person entrance fee to Altos de Chavón.

Denise

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altos de chavon

What is the attraction? The price to go is pretty steep.

$100 for a couple, plus $25/person, plus another $5? that's $160 for us.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altos de chavon

Altos De Chavon is a replica of a 17th century Mediterranean village sitting above Chavon river - priceless view. You will find artist studios, craft-shops, galleries, restaurants and bars there. The best is the outdoor amphitheater, during the holiday season they do Kandela show - dominican dances, there are different concerts all year around. We went for Santana concert and it was awesome :)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altos_de_Chav%C3%B3n

http://www.kandela.com.do/english.htm

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altos de chavon

If you prebook in a restaurant inside the Marina orin Altos de Chavon or if you going to a show or concert you can wave the $25 per person or just join a tour group if you are only 2.

Another option is to rent a car. A small car usually costs around $50

A taxi ride from GBPLR usually costs to Bayahibe $100 return so to La Romana will cost $50 or $60 return. You can ask when you get to your hotel

In my opinion is a nice spot but not worth to pay $160!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
651 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Altos de chavon

If I am going this month when there is No show..what is there for me to do and what would an itinerary for the day/night be?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Altos de chavon

The itinerary would be whatever you make it ;)

Not sure what you would do there at night unless you want to go to a restaurant or the disco (if it's still there). During the day you can walk around to see the amphitheater, all the shops (if they are open as the high season hasn't started yet), and the beautiful river view.

But like bigbite said above, I am not sure if all this is worth 30 USD per person (25 USD Casa de Campo + 5 USD Altos de Chavon), plus a taxi ride.

Denise

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Altos de chavon

Llolygal

I understand you are staying at Viva's. There is a different show everynight and a disco

Altos de Chavon is best to visit during the day

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Altos de chavon

Have been there a few times. It is an odd place - why build a reproduction Italian village in the Dominican Republic? And why did Pope John Paul II send the ashes of Poland's patron saint, St. Stanislaus?

In reality it is the outcome of Gulf Western in the 1980s not paying its full taxes to the Dominican government and instead using the money for 'projects of social value to the country'. For all its faults I would have preferred the Dominican government to have the money to spend rather than Gulf Western - they might have built a few schools rather than this thing.

The place is usually deserted. there are a few shops selling various goods - but the range and styles haven't changed in 20 years!! It is a nice place to walk around and see the view, But iMO you would be better off saving your money!

Edited: 5:13 pm, November 05, 2013