We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

toronto
Level Contributor
150 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

Hi all, We are going to the grand bahia la romana in Feb. and are very distressed to hear about all the sickness that is happening there and apparently the hotel management and Air canada vacations don't seem to be doing anything to get this problem resolved. Why is this hotel even being allowed to have guests? I went back through the past year and noticed this "sickness" has happened quite a few times before. Does anyone know if anyone of authority is actually looking into this? thanks fellow travellers, Barb

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

People, wake up!!! Start educating yourselves and your family before travelling. Ask your doctor about taking Dukoral. Children can also use it.

I never used to take anything when I went away but started to realize that you can pick up a bug any where and anytime when travelling. It doesn't just happen in third-world countries...It happens all over the world and at home also. Not sure if your medical insurance will cover cancellation costs if you decide not to go.

toronto
Level Contributor
150 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

you are quite right, spindrifts but I still would like to know that the resort i go to is using proper hygiene when handling my food. Also I would like to know that the management is interested in dealing with this problem appropriately so that it does not happen in the future. but you are right, I believe I will invest in some Dukoral for this trip. Thanks for the thought,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

I haven't read the reviews you mention, if it has been identified by health authorities as e-coli, salmonella or similar, then yes, absolutely the resort should be taking drastic measures. But, norovirus is incredibly prevalent at the moment, the UK, Canada and elsewhere. If people vacation with this bug, others are going to get infected, whatever the resort does, as it isn't related to the food / water. And dukoral won't prevent it either AFAIK.

By all means, take dukoral, it does protect against some bugs, although nowhere near all, but do know it has to be taken some time before you go - so if you are leaving this week, it is too late for it to make a difference.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

Norovirus is really bad this year, people all over the world are sick, traveling and taking the bug with them wherever they go. Then all is blamed on the resorts at the end, very easy to do.

I am reading post all over TA and also on Facebook not really all related to travel and the people are sick all over the world, even if they don't travel anywhere.

Denise

5. Re: sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:55 am, February 02, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

I agree with demi56. While there may well be issues @ the BPLR (which will hopefully be corrected by mid-March!), Norovirus is a very serious problem that can be "controlled" if people take some simple steps to protect themselves. They are the same steps that you should be taking at home as well. Keep your hands clean! Have a bottle of some type of hand sanitizer in every bag you carry with you. Also keep a package of disinfectant wipes close by. You don't have to be obsessive, but keeping your hands clean AND wiping something you think may he "unclean" (beach/pool lounges) will go a long way to help stop the spread of that problem to you, your family and others!

And yes, if there is some sort of food/drink issues at the resort, I would hope for 2 things to happen:

First, the resort take any AND ALL steps to solve the problem , and

Second, communicate those steps to both previous and future guests. I for one would like to know that they recognize that there was a problem and that they have gone to GREAT LENGTHS to alleviate it.

I have been to almost all BP resorts in the Caribbean (March will be my 2nd time at the BPLR). I have always found them to be "up to acceptable standards" and have been quick to resolve any problems that I might have had. I trust (hope) that this will continue.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

During our visit last November at the entrance to the buffet the hostess would ask to put a few drops of antiseptic gel in your hands. As you may know some people do not practice good hygiene like washing hands before meals, couching away from the food, not touching food with bare hands etc. The hotel appeared to be doing whatever it could, but it is difficult to control what the customer do.... On a recent visit to Mexico, there was a man picking up french toast and pancakes then placing them back in the hot trays, when asked to use the tongs he just gave us a dirty look! Anyway all three of us stayed well at

GBPLR and I tried everything.

Edited: 5:04 pm, February 09, 2013
Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

Just got back from Gran Bahia Principe La Romana...my husband and I did not get sick and only came across a few people who were sick. I am assuming it was a virus of some type that ran rampant during the last week of January. I should mention that when we arrived I wiped down our entire room with disinfectant wipes before we touched anything. We also washed our hands A LOT while there and used hand sanitizer a lot.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

Just got back this morning. PERFECT vacation.. None of us (3 adults+1kid+2infants) had any problems. We all being eating at the buffet. Food was very delicious. I was so worried before my trip especially for my little ones, but everything went very well. So, I am positive that Administration has solved the problem.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sickness at the grand bahia principe la romana

So glad for those that have returned recently that all stayed healthy, especially the children (big worry for Mom's) I hope that people that did get sick are well now, just such a shame and scary to be sick away from home.