We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

Lately, Dreams La Romana has gotten some really bad reviews about people getting sick with food poisoning symptoms. I'm wondering if this is an isolated problem or if I should be concerned enough not to book here. I'm going to be traveling for a week at the beginning of August. Can anyone give me any insight?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

I have been to Dreams La Romana and it is a very clean facility. If there was a case of food poisoning it had to be isolated. Source could have been out of their control if there actually was a food poisoning incident (such as with fresh fruit etc.).

I would not hesitate to go to that resort. I am going to Dream Punta Cana in March and have no concerns.

Hoboken, New Jersey
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

I happen to be at Dreams La Romana right now and am sick, possibly because some of the food may be washed by tap water or there is tap water in some of the fruit drinks. I can tell you that this is a beautiful resort, but that anyone that is not skeptical about the drinks and food here is overlooking a real health concern.

I've had nothing but bottled water, and am accustomed to all sorts of spicy and ethnic foods, so this can not be an excuse in my case. I'm also healthy, in my early 30's, healthy weight, and I have not spent too much time in the sun, I have not consumed alcohol, and I am generally very conscious of the safety of what I eat. This is the first time I've suffered from severe diarrhea, and it's awful. Not too mention that the toilet paper here is very rough--it's not the good soft stuff you have in the US, which I have to say is a genuine problem even for my husband who does not have to run to the bathroom every 20 minutes like I do.

I reiterate that this is a beautiful resort, and the people are very kind. That said, food/water poisoning is a real concern and should be a real concern for anyone coming to this resort or generally to the Dominican Republic (regardless of which resort they attend). It likely is a systematic problem within this country, and not simply isolated to just this resort or to just a few guests within this resort.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

In general, anything could give u your symptoms, from brushing or rinsing with tap water, to eating desert,sweets when u normally dont, coconut water, taking in pool or beach water, even extra greasy food.

Food does sit for a while in any buffet. Anything could have caused it, u have a bacteria in ur system

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

It's also flu season and you could have caught something on the plane. I have stopped eating eggs for breakfast at resorts as I find the oil they are cooked in doesn't agree with me.

We will be there tomorrow :) Can't wait!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

Some good comments. Yes the oil in the foods is different. People arriving in elongated tubes sharing the same air easily do catch each others germs. Food sitting at buffets too long, too much coconut or pineapple and considering that each person has a different immune system all contribute.

It does way go too far to say that this is a "systematic problem within this country, and not simply isolated to just this resort" and is way way off base.

I got food poisoining once in NYC at a chinese restaurant, does that mean that all chinese restaurants have bad food. Of course not.

I have eaten the food from all parts of the country, even drank tap water and over 20 years have never been sick once (self induced excepted). I would say to Tara1635 to see a doctor. Your unfortuneate illness does not an epidemic make but does require care.

Edited: 3:04 pm, November 07, 2013
Atlanta
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

We stayed in Dreams La Romana in December 2013 with group of 10 people, 6 of ust got food poisoning. We loved resort, but for above reason probably never will be back. We drank bottled water all the time, only drink on the beach I had is Cranberry juice mixed with soda. I did not use bottled water for teeth cleaning as I never done this when we were vising Punta Cana resorts. Maybe water in La Romana much worse then in Punta Cana. It took me 2 months back home in US to recover from this food poisoning. I hope they will take care of this problem in hotel. 6 of 10 people get sick is not a singe incident.

Oceanport, New...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

I just returned from a vacation to dreams la romana and 7 of our party of 10 had food poisoning. It definitely spoiled the vacation experience. We spoke to several other travelers while there and all had experienced some level of sickness. It was very upsetting to be on a vacation and afraid to eat and drink anything. We have been to several all inclusive resorts and this is the only one that we have ever gotten sick at. On our return flight we met people who stayed at dreams in punta Cana and they too got sick at that resort. It is so sad that such a beautiful resort has such issues. Vacationed there 12/30/13 through 1/11/14.

Stansted...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

Hi,

Are the hotel addressing the food poisoning issues, very worried as we are heading there in a week's time?

Thanks

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

I wouldn't expect they were actually diagnosed with food poisoning. It will be fine I am sure there is no need to worry.

Rockford, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams La Romana Food Poisoning?

There is still an issue going on. I just had my wedding there. We had a party of 27 of the 27 - 5 people had vomiting and diarrhea and 17 other people had mild to moderate diarrhea with about of those people having severe and requiring antibiotics when they returned home. They had been ill for about 4-5 days before they went to the Dr. There were only 5 people from our group that had no symptoms at all. Me and my husband both were affected and we are both healthy-mid 20's and we were very cautious not to eat fruits and vegetables with skin, made sure our food was done, and even brushed our teeth with bottled water. I talked to smaller groups and some were ok and some were experiencing similar issues. I also talked 2 2 different wedding parties, one said half their group was sick with similar symptoms and the other wedding party of 38 said at least 1/4 of their party was sick. When I got home I spoke with my travel agent and she was shocked and was contacting apple to let them know there's an issue going on at this resort. Yes you may go and be fine, but from what I observed you also may not be fine. People were friendly and it was a nice resort but the food poisoning was a real problem from our group and other groups I spoke to down there.