We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Romana- Public Beach close to cruise port?

toronto
Level Contributor
190 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
La Romana- Public Beach close to cruise port?

Hi,

Going on the Carnival ship in March 2012. Looking forward to a relaxing day at a nearby beach. Is there anything thats a walkable distance or a short cheap cab ride away?

Thanks for your help!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Romana- Public Beach close to cruise port?

The closest would be Casa de Campo, but you might pay an entrance fee to go there. I am not sure if they charge the cruise ship tourists or not, the entrance fee is 25 USD per person.

You can take a cab to Bayahibe village with many restaurants and a nice beach, about 20 minute ride. The price is around 80 USD for the round trip and you will see a tiny bit of this island while coming here.

Happy travel

Denise

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,385 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Romana- Public Beach close to cruise port?

Denise, all,

We are also cruising to La Romana for our first visit in April and I'm trying to get different excursion ideas. The Bayahibe trip sounds good for a beach day, is there anything to see there or just stores? We like sailing and seeing the sights and wondered if there is anything there that is unique to the area.

I had considered a cruise on the river (name escapes me) and a visit to Caso de Campo but I haven't yet researched the different areas there.

Are there any areas/sights we should consider seeing for our first visit?

It sounds beautiful there and we wanted to fly there for a week but we are cruising with friends and this will be a first for all of us. I had also considered Santo Domingo but I'm sure that would take up most of our time...

Thanks for your help.

Edited: 4:18 pm, October 03, 2011
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Romana- Public Beach close to cruise port?

Santo Domingo is about an hour and half drive from La Romana, but you will have a limited time at the port (usually from 9 till 4:30 PM the ships leave at 5 PM), so I think that would be too much hustle to go back and forth. Leave Santo Domingo for your next visit when you have more time and can enjoy it better.

You can go to see Altos de Chavon, just 5 minutes by taxi from the port, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altos_de_Chav%C3%B3n

Then you can continue to Bayahibe, a nice place to see a local village, relax on the beach, try some local food, you can buy souvenirs here of course, but it's not a BIG shopping place :)

If you want to do an excursion, it probably has to be a bit modified due to your arrival / departure time.

Let me know if you need more help or email me at denise@discoverbayahibe.com

Denise

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,385 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Romana- Public Beach close to cruise port?

Your recommendstion sounds perfect! Seeing a local village and the food would be a great experience for us. Thanks, I'll probably have more questions as we do more research

5. Re: La Romana- Public Beach close to cruise port?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 20, 2012