We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Documents

Corning, NY
7 posts
Save Topic
Travel Documents

Has anyone from the US traveled into the DR Driver license and birth certificate instead of a passport and had any problems? Also, how about traveling with young children (<2 years) without a passport? Any issues I should be careful to avoid?


Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel Documents

Baltobabe i counldn't agree more then u worth every penny.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel Documents

Well our experience is: we are from Canada

We took our grandaughter with us to the DR last year. We needed to get her LONG birth certificiate with both parents name on it. We needed a notarized letter from the parents, because our last names are different and she wasn't traveling with both parents. With a picture ID for her & we had no problems! We were told that if the parents were separated we would need a copy of the custody agreement.

The couple ahead of us had a little one who were single parents, the childs name was different than the Moms and she was with her new boyfriend. The mom had a picture ID for the child but she still had to call a lawyer to the Halifax airport, to notarize a letter stating that the childs father was in prison with a copy of her full-custody agreement from family court. They did let her throgh without the long birth certificiate. I don't know if they had anyproblems in the DR when they arrived.

So honestly, I would do some checking before I headed for the airport.

Hope this helps!

Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question