We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaki Question for you...

Toronto Ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Kaki Question for you...

Hi Kaki,

We're leaving Sunday for Casa Del Mar. I'm going to be heading to the bank either tomorrow or Thursday...I'm a bit concerned about carrying a whole bunch of cash with me--especially since all those $1 bill we plan to take for tips will take up so much room in my wallet!

Is there an ATM at the resort? How exactly do you manage carrying all that money on the trip down?

Can I just buy travellers cheques and cash them at the resort?

Thanks,

Krista

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaki Question for you...

Krista, Don't mean to butt in but thought I might suggest what I use. It is a cloth wallet I wear around my waist. They are available at walmart or a store like that or someplace that sells luggage. I put it on at the airport before going through the radar and wear it on the plane and take it off when I arrive to the resort. All of my cash fit in it and it really isn't uncomfortable at all. It fits in the small of my back so it works like a little pillow.

Hope this helps,

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaki Question for you...

Hey Krista! How exciting! I will be in your position in about 40 days!

I don't know if there is an ATM--I am trying to get you an answer.

Either carrying a wad of cash isn't a problem or I've been lucky. I don't carry all that much (about $130) and bring about the same in traveler's cheques. I separate it into different pockets in my carry on and my purse and my wallet and hope for the best. You can use the safe once there but again, I've been lucky on that! I never got around to filling the safe last year and had no ugly incidents.

Last January, I was able to cash traveler's cheques with a small purchase at the jewelry store or the gift shop in the lobby of Casa del Mar. This may not be the way they run today, but a $3 purchase of a really cool bracelet in the shop would get me the change in US dollars. I used this option a couple of times!! They gave me the bills in $US and the silver portion in Dominican pesos. There is also a "bank" that will exchange funds, but beware that they have 9 - 5 hours. If you have traveler's cheques, that would be an option too though there may be a small fee for that. I have used traveler's cheques to buy from the kiosk vendors too, but expect that when it comes time to give me change they will claim that they don't have it and keep an extra $2-3 more than we agreed upon. I am okay with that if the price is good in the first place. You can keep your small bills handy and pay in traveler's cheques, topping up with US cash. I buy US traveler's cheques whenever the Canadian dollar is high so usually have a bit of a hoard at home. I buy any excursions through the hotel on my credit card.

I do like Baltobabe's travel wallet idea too, but find it's close to my spreading it out technique so haven't invested in a money belt or money socks yet.

As soon as I hear on the ATM I will let you know. Please ask if you have any other questions!

Kaki

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaki Question for you...

Hey Krista!

My well-placed sources (!) tell me that there are 2 ATMs and/but they only dispense pesos.

Kaki

Toronto Ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaki Question for you...

Thanks ladies! I went to the bank an got cash this week, in USD. I also purchased one of those belt purses this week.

Just finishing packing and doing laundry right now...early to bed tonight!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaki Question for you...

Krista, travel save and have a blast! Please say hello to everyone at Casa Del Mar! I cannot wait until Decimber23 when I return! And please let us know when you get back we want details and pictures! LOL!

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
344 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaki Question for you...

Be careful at the ATM. It took our card but we succesfully retrieved it. The bank came out and got it from the machine later in the day. a French couple were not as lucky. It was not in the machine. Perhaps it got spat back out and someone found it?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaki Question for you...

YIKES! Zuzu, that is scary. I try to take enough cash and then use my credit card to book trips through apple or other reputable vendor also use my credit card at the spa and have never had any problems. I am always a little aprhensive about using my bank card.

all the best,

baltobabe/mt