We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

we're thinking of going here late Feb, early March and have heard alot of bad/mixed reviews. It's classified as a 5* resort, but the prices are cheap. I heard they fumigate every early evening? I also heard about nightly power outages...illnesses... anyone who has come back from this resort in late 2008-early 2009, please let me know the good, bad and the ugly...

thanks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

I haven't been to this property since the spring, but hope to return for a short visit in February. My comments may come too late to assist you with your booking. There are a few people from the Forum who were indeed visiting in January so I hope they can provide assistance.

Most of the hotels fumigate and we appreciate that for the good it does. The problem with this hotel is that it seems to be at a time when people notice it as opposed to other properties where it's more invisible. Once you find out when the fumigation is happening, you could take a cocktail to your room or help yourself to your stocked fridge, retreat to an internal room in the lobby, or see if you can find out a schedule which can allow you to be ahead of the fumigators. I didn't experience a power outage that I noticed, but it may've *blipped* since I had to set the clock in the room twice. Illnesses go in cycles at many hotels and once a hotel feels that there is an inordinate amount, they double their efforts to combat it if it's in their control in any way. There is absolutely no benefit to a resort to allow illness to run unchecked. I haven't heard that a disease has taken over this hotel like the unfortunate situation with the RIUs a couple of years ago when they had to actually shut down the hotels to clean it out.

I think that the 5* thing relates to the hotel and amenities in particular and not things like any circumstance of illness or the irritation of fumigation. I haven't visited a dozen 5* properties to be able to compare, but many things about this hotel make it purport itself as a 5* by tour operator standards in the DR. There was champagne at dinner, sushi on the buffet, top shelf alcohol brands, junor suite rooms, luxurious bathrooms with a multitude of shower heads and bidet, and then considerate additions like clean ironing board (with iron) and umbrella in each closet.

It's a beautiful and well maintained private resort with some cute things not found at many other hotels (like the little island).

I too look forward to hearing the reports of the recent travelers. In the meantime, my pictures are at travel.webshots.com/album/563726261mFDfQn if you'd like to take a look.

Kaki

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

Thank you for your insight and photos, they were great! :-)

onrtario
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

We just came back yesterday. Accomodations are 4 1/2 to a 5 star. Food is 3 1/2 at the buffet and a 4 at the a la cartes. The beach is beautiful and the pool area is great. The ocean is cloudy due to the strong currents further out that stir up the bottom. The resort has put up a man-made break so the waves on the beach are fairly small. The water is still clean but visability is probably 1 to 2 feet. No good for snorkeling. They fumigate every night at 6:15 pm. but I don't think they use pesticides. It seemed more like smoke and he wasn't wearing a mask. It was never a problem. Dinner doesn't start until 7:00pm and most people are either in their room or at the bar. I never got a handle on the nightly power outages but yes it does happen. They must be brief because our room never heated up and we only noticed because the clock radio time was flashing. We didn't get sick and the weather was perfect. If you want more info just post again.

Montréal
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

I was in BP La Romana from January 1st to 8th and I confirm all what padabear 1 says. If I could, I would return there tomorrow!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

did you notice a lot of children at the resort?

Montréal
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

Yes, I was with my 2 daughters and I noticed a lot of children, but this hotel can accomodate people who want to «see» children and those who does not: beach and pool areas are big enough to choose an «isolated» chair!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

They have fumigated, and had power outages, everywhere I have been (being Cuba and Mexico)

We leave Monday and I am encouraged to read this!

Any tips for us??

How were the bugs?

Keynsham England
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

Hi we are due to travel to Drreams La Romana on the 23rd Feb reading the replys you have had has made me very excited and hope that Dreams La Romana will be the best 65th Birthday pressie for my husband and 30th Wedding aniversary all rolled into one. Can't wait

newfoundland
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

Hi Firewoman 911

We are going to this resort in April along with two other couples but we are very disapointed about all the bad reviews people have been giving this resort. Alot of people have been sick and there seems to be a bad sand fly problem there on the beach after dark. Also they spray the place every evening for bugs and such, not nice I've been reading. Apparently you have to stay in your rooms while this is going ahead. I would appreciate it if you could share your experience there with me and give me some advice about this resort. We went last march and stayed at the Grand Oasis Punta Cana and had a great time, hope this trip turns out the same way.

Thank You

You can e-mail if you like at jamiegpark@hotmail.com

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need the real insider info on GBP LaRomana

Two Words: “FOOD POISONING“

We just can back from Bahia Principe La Romana and being sick is not part of your vacation from under cooked and bad food. We tried over over and over to have them cook their food. Yes, we know bien cocido “well cooked” and our fourth time to DR. Will post review of this resort soon. Not good.. Lots of sickness.