We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

Montréal
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

Hi,

I have read on a review that BP La Romana private island was closed for renovations. Does anyone know if it has reopened? We are going to La Romana next week!

Thank you

Toronto
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

We are going to the Bahia La Romana on January 9th.... and we can't wait!! I hope someone can answer your question, because we were really looking forward to going to this private island.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

Same as before, guests can take a kayak or pedal boat and go alone to have a look at the island as a fun extra thing the hotel offers. I like the idea of getting yourself there on your own better than relying on the schedule of a shuttle!

They are making minor improvements to the island, but it will remain generally the same. There will not be a bar built, but I understand that they do provide water.

Kaki

Montréal
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

Thank you...

I guess it was temporary closed. I really hope being able to go there as this island is a very original add-on, compared to other hotels!

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

Hi there,

Have just got back from the hotel and am happy to say that the island is OPEN for business! No water cooler, but some sunbeds and umbrellas. If you're energetic you can swim out to it, but probably easier to take a canoe!

Have a good time.

Montréal
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

Thanks Kandeg, I hope you had a pleasant stay. I would love going to this private island by kayak but as I am accompagnied by my two daughters, I will certainly rely on shuttle. Do you know if it has a regular timetable or if it goes there on demand?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

They aren't mentioning the shuttle any longer so that may not be an option. Do you think you could go by pedal boat? That's likely the mode I'd opt for since it's harder to tip and doesn't take much skill in steering! I'd be with my 70 year old mother so possibly having similar challenges and concerns to yours. You can consult with the watersports hut on the beach to see what they could arrange for you if you needed help though.

Kaki

Montréal
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

That's a good idea, pedal boat seems a safer option than kayak, I will follow your advice. Thank you.

ontario
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

My family is going to BP La Romana Jan.12th. How was the water and the beach?

Montréal
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

I don't know yet since I leave tomorrow...

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on Bahia Principe La Romana private island?

Hi

Re the water: I guess it depends upon what you're expecting and what you want to do. It certainly doesn't qualify as 'diamond clear seas' as per one tour operator's brochure. In fact, it's very cloudy. I gave up swimming in it because it seemed to give me a very sore throat every time. However, you should be fine paddling, using canoe etc.

Clear waters can be found at Catalina Island (boat trip for hald day diving/snorkeling at $55 from Dive Centre on beach), or through rep.

The beach itself is beautiful. Very pretty. Plenty of sunbeds and shade. You'll have no trouble getting a sunbed anytime of the day. They even sweep the beach clean every morning!

Have a great time.