We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

I have been reading the post and all of you are so very helpful, thank you for all of your help. I decided to stay at CDM. I have booked 4 rooms for a group of 9 during the middle of March. I made the reservation through Apple after reading that building assignments were usually good when booking with them. However, I am getting a little nervous after reading the reviews and since I recommended CDM to my group of nine, I would like your professional opinions on a few matters. First of all, I booked a standard rooms with Apple, should I upgrade to a club rooms? I have read that some of the rooms are not very nice, dirty etc. Also, how would I go about getting the rooms in one building, hopefully next to each other. Is it true that if you book with Apple, the rooms will be in one of the newer buidlings? Another question I have is that many people complaine that the beach has too many people for the amount of chairs and that you are sitting on top of one another, others say it is the most beautiful beach they ever saw. Which is true? One last question, and I realize it has been talked about over and over again on this forum. Malaria, what are your views. We are only going for 4 nights, is it worth the meds, or will using a good inspect repelent be enough. Just thought of another question, which night is the dinner on the beach held? Thank you in advance for your help.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

Hola nugent,

First...be on the look out for a PM with me with some more info that is too long to post here...the notice will appear at the top of the page when you sign in...

Booking with Apple you will most like be in bldg 2,3 or4 and three is a club building but since you booked a regular room if you do get upgraded to that building all the "Club Amenities" do not go along...like the robe and other things...Katie and Michelle from Apple explained that to me last week when I was there.

They are all great buildings though and you should not have any problems...if by chance you do...please do go see Katie or ask for Michelle they are truly a Dream Team and ROCK!!! Big time!!!

Please email Kerry who runs the Forum Friends Program at CDM:

forumfriends@sunscapecasadelmar.com.do

she is also an AMAZING Lady! She really does a great job with that and is also the cheif concierge and runs the public relations department! A lady with many talents!

The Beach Party may change from week to week...I am trying to remember which day it was when I was just there...Wednesday comes to mind...

…webshots.com/photo/2084392030056614800PILuYq

the link above if you copy and paste it in your browser will take you to some SUNdials the newsletter you will recieve every day that tells you what is going on...

Look for the PM and more info from me...

And here is my latest album from the Forum Friends Fiesta...it is a work in progress so feel free to check back...

good-times.webshots.com/album/562353998jvpsQh

You can also feel free to contact me if you like

baltobabe@comcast.net

Oh...when are you going? I will be there April 11th.

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

Thank you so very much Baltobabe.

Your album is beautiful, CDM looks lovely and I feel so much better about my choice. Thank you all the wonderful links and information. I will be there Easter week, too bad we will miss each other. But it does seem like CDM has a lot of repeat customers, so maybe another time we will meet at CDM. Thanks again.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,086 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

nugent, the Beach Party is held on Tuesday night. Each week, on Tuesday, I say to myself "it's Beach Party night!"

I have pictures of the rooms I've stayed in and visited while at CDM over the years. I've been assigned rooms in buildings 2,3, 4 and 7. I will happily send you the pictures if you want to send me a note. You could look through all of my albums at Webshots (http://community.webshots.com/user/kaki333) but I know it's easier to be directed to what you want than to have to look for it yourself sometimes. For shots of the beach and property and activities and hotel staff, please do look at my albums though!

The beach is full, that's for sure, but it's not tightly crammed unless you go to the area that is tightly crammed--by the activities and beach bar. If you want to be there, it's not surprising others do too. If you want a chair where there isn't one, you can easily find one further away and drag it where you like it. I've done it before and I see the tracks in the sand showing that others do it too. I can highlight the areas that you can check for the quiet spots for you to spend your day, or where you can find a lounger to move to a busier area. There are always some chairs somewhere, but you may have to be strategic about making your beach nest.

Clearly when some see the food at CDM as something to look forward to (me!) and others say it's inedible, we have a difference of opinion. Maybe they like food more or less salty, in more or less sauce, the selection to be grilled, baked, fried, sauteed, battered, crunchy, sweeter, creamier...that doesn't mean that lots of us won't find it perfect with limitless choices. It's the same for the beach. The hotel is tucked into a cove and you can see both ends of the beach when you look left and right. The hotel only has half of that beach however. The water is usually flat calm. People pay money to float on a tank of salt water for the calming and detoxifying properties, yet you can do it at CDM with no problem. The sand is soft and pinky white, never hot underfoot, with a deep beach stretching back to where the property's grounds begin. The beach is raked in the morning and the chairs are arranged on the beach in twos or fours for guests' convenience in the most popular areas.

When people arrive in the morning they often take an extra chair for their loot, sometimes a few if there are a number of people. It would be hard to tell at a glance when you see beach bag and towel that there wasn't a person roosting there, but that's a chair that the hotel laid out for a body and it's now out of circulation. I hope that if you asked a group "is there a person for all of these chairs?" that they would give up one that they hoped they could use all day.

You're right, malaria has been much discussed here and I agree with those who say that it's a discussion best had with your doctor or a doctor at a travel clinic. That said, I'd discuss the issues of malaria and the cures and how you with your medical conditions dictate your need for the meds as much as asking the doctor "Is there malaria in the DR?" They look at a map provided to them at a certain time months or years ago which may not be representative of the situation today. The hotels spray for mosquitos and get most of them. The odd one may be hardy though and make it through the net. The doctors also have a map based on provinces and will advise it "is" here and it "isn't" there, but I don't believe that mosquitos carrying malaria know the meaning of a property line. They won't necessarily fill all of the shaded area that they are said to be in, and they might end up on the other side of the line on occasion. It is my understanding that the Chloroquine used by most for the prevention of malaria can also be used to treat the symptoms after the fact. Malaria need not be deadly and if you catch it, you could potentially be treated. If you are generally healthy with uncompromised immunities, staying primarily on the property, and carrying your DEET with you when you wander outside, you could be fine without treatment. But each person's situation is different, and that applies to those taking the medication as well. There are some side effects to be borne in mind which counteract the "better safe than sorry" argument. You may end up with stomach upset, and it is advised that you avoid excess alcohol and sun when taking the Chloroquine treatment. Malarone is the other regularly prescribed prophylaxis with fewer side effects but a heftier price.

Let me know if you want to see the rooms! kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

Kaki

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

…comcast.net/maryweil/sun_casadelmarvelous

Hi again Nugent....I thought that you may enjoy looking at my photoshows too...if you copy the above link you can get to that place...make sure and click on each pic as each on is a show with music and captions...

Hope you enjoy!

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

Baltobabe,

What a wonderful link, It made me feel as if I was there, thank you so very much. I really can't wait now!!!!! The sunrise to sunset was sooooo beautiful.

Thank you again for sharing it with me. I am passing it on to the others in my group so they can become as excited as I am!!!.

NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

Kaki,

Your photo album is beautiful! I really enjoyed looking at your photo's. Can't wait to go now! Thank you for all of your helpful information. I did send you an e-mail, I am not sure you received it. Thanks Again.

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

Hi nugent.

Yesterday we went for lunch to Bayahibe, and afterwards we went strolling as far as the CDM beach.

I found it a bit too crowded to be honest, but as Kaki mentions, the bar and the activities area is the most packed.

This beach is usually calmed beautiful, and quite peaceful (when the activities guys give it a chance!). Together with the snorkel facilities and the coral reef just in front, Im sure your party will love it.

As for Malaria... Well... I find that this confuses and frightens the tourists SO MUCH!

I not only worked in the Hotel business, but in the best Private Clinic Group in DR as well, and I can guarantee you that, even though in some countries (like UK) DR is listed for malaria, DR ISN'T A COUNTRY OF FEAR FOR MALARIA.

"Dengue", yes, but not Malaria.

Im not Dominican, (Im from Spain), and living here for ten years now, I have never heard of a real case, with locals or tourists, relating Malaria.

Haiti defenetely carries Malaria, but if you saw the conditions they live with in that country, you'll understand why....

About six years ago, two activities guys at Viva Whyndam Dominicus died of Malaria, and the whole country was "alerted" to the tourists.

What was never said, was that those two poor guys had been IN AFRICA, with a training program with Viva Whyndam, and they got THERE the desease!

This has happened everytime a haitian guy has died of malaria on DR ground.

They get infected in their country, and when they travel here they have died.

Being this said, remember that Malaria isn't contagious. You have to be bitten by the mosquito itself in order to get the desease.

I live here with my husband and one year old baby. None of us has ever taken anything for Malaria.

Im pregnant at the moment, and I promise you that Malaria doesn't worry me at all!

NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

Thank you soooooo much Monicasdq. You have no idea how much you have put my mind at ease!!!!!!!

I have been reading about the Malaria warnings, but I kept saying to myself, thousands of people travel to the DR without taking the Malaria meds and they are just fine!!! Your response completly confirms what I was thinking. Thank you once again.

9. Re: Kaki, Baltobabe & Monicasdq CDM questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, September 20, 2009